How to explain the phenomenon of optical rotation of chiral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of optical rotation in chiral molecules and the microscopic basis for this effect. It is explained that optical activity is a collective property and not one of isolated molecules, and that the dielectric response in chiral substances is non-local, leading to optical rotation. The Kuhn model of coupled oscillators and Rosenfeld's formulation are mentioned as explanations for this effect.
Djalmao23
I am Professor of Inorganic Chemistry of the State University of Southwest of Bahia - UESB. I have a PhD from UFMG in Natural Product Chemistry.

I use the polarimeter in my experiments and would like to understand what happens on a micro scale (chiral molecules) to provide the phenomenon of optical rotation.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi!

Before explaining the microscopic basis, I want to stress that optical activity is a collective property and not one of isolated molecules. Stated differently, almost any isolated molecule will rotate the polarisation of the scattered light for some orientations. The point is that for chiral molecules the rotation does not average to 0 when averaging over all orientations of the molecules. This is easy to see that a helix looks alike when rotated by 180 degrees, i.e. the helicity does not average out on rotations.
Now to the description of helicity: The response of materials to electromagnetic fields is described by the dielectric displacement ##D## or equivalently by the polarisation ##P=D-E##. The relation between ##D## and ##E## is given by the material equations, whose general form is
##
D(r,t)=\int dt' \int dr' \epsilon(r-r',t-t') E(r', t')
##
This looks complicated. As the dimensions of the molecules is small compared to the wavelength of the electric field, it is usually an excellent approximation to assume that the dielectric response is local, i.e.
##
D(r,t)=\int dt' \epsilon(t-t') E(r, t')
##
(in a homogeneous medium, epsilon can only depend on the difference of r and r' or t and t')
or,
for monochromatic fields with frequency ##\omega##
##D(r,\omega )=\epsilon(\omega)E(r,\omega)##.
But for chiral substances, this isn't sufficient. Optical rotation is an effect of the dielectric response being non-local.
The easiest model to see this is maybe the Kuhn model of coupled oscillators.
Consider a molecule containing two fluorophores which can be described by two dipoles which aren't parallel but are coupled.
I.e. if you excite one dipole, the other will get excited, too, and may also re-emit the radiation, with the plane of polarisation being rotated.
The spatial separation of the dipoles is necessary for this effect not to average out when averaging over all orientations of the molecule.

There exists an alternative formulation going back to Rosenfeld: The non-local dependence of the polarisation on the electric field can be replaced by a local dependence of the polarisation on both ##E## and the magnetic field ##B##, as the magnetic field and the electric field are related themselves by a non-local Maxwell equation. Then the condition for chirality becomes that the molecule in question has a parallel electric and magnetic transition dipole moment. This formulation is especially well suited for routine quantum chemical calculations of optical activity.
An elementary introduction can be found in "Quantum chemistry" by Eyring, Walter, Kimball

Likes Djalmao23

1. What is optical rotation and how does it relate to chirality?

Optical rotation is the ability of certain substances to rotate the plane of polarized light. Chirality refers to the property of molecules having a non-superimposable mirror image. Chiral molecules are able to rotate polarized light due to their asymmetric structure.

2. What causes a substance to exhibit optical rotation?

Optical rotation is caused by the interaction of polarized light with chiral molecules. The asymmetry of the molecule causes the light to rotate as it passes through, resulting in a change in the direction of the light's vibration.

3. How is optical rotation measured and expressed?

Optical rotation is measured using a polarimeter, which consists of a light source, polarizing filters, and a sample cell. The degree of rotation is expressed in terms of the specific rotation, which is a constant for each substance and is dependent on factors such as temperature, wavelength, and concentration.

4. What are some examples of substances that exhibit optical rotation?

Many natural substances, such as sugars, amino acids, and essential oils, exhibit optical rotation due to their chiral nature. Synthetic compounds, such as drugs and pesticides, can also exhibit optical rotation if they contain chiral molecules.

5. How does the phenomenon of optical rotation impact our daily lives?

The ability to measure optical rotation has important applications in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and cosmetics. It is also used in chemical analysis and research to identify and characterize chiral compounds. Additionally, optical rotation is used in the production of optical instruments, such as polarized sunglasses, to reduce glare and improve vision.