On 'A Quarter Waveplate (QWP) rotated between 2 Polarisers'

In summary, the conversation is about a question from the book 'Problems & Solutions in Optics and Photonics' where a quarter-wave plate is rotated between two crossed polaroids. The solution provided involves Jones calculus, which the person is not familiar with and is unsure if it is allowed to be used in their university. They also have questions about the use of cosθ and sinθ in the equations and why only the E(y) component is propagated. They are seeking guidance to understand and clarify their conceptual understanding.
warhammer
While going through the book 'Problems & Solutions in Optics and Photonics' I was having difficulty in understanding a question & have some issues about my own conceptual know-how in this regard.

The Question is: A quarter-wave plate is rotated between two crossed polaroids. If an unpolarised beam is incident on the first polaroid, discuss the variation of intensity of the emergent beam as the quarter-wave plate is rotated. What will happen if we have a half-wave instead of a quarter-wave plate?

This is the solution that they have provided (attached below).

Now I am having trouble understanding:

i) If θ is the angle made with respect to the y-axis, why the E(x') component has a "cosθ" instead of a "sinθ" (or in other words how was Resolution carried out here)

ii) Assuming it should indeed be cosθ & after making necessary QWP adjustments of π/2 in the equations, why does only the E(y) propagate here? (Is it due to the fact that it is an E Wave that's not absorbed inside?)

iii) Why did we assume that the wave is x-polarised here, as in what was the purpose for the same and what would it entail if we assume it to be y-polarised instead (will that bring changes in the equation as well)
I would be extremely grateful if someone would guide me & help me plug my conceptual holes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-145241_ReadEra.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-145241_ReadEra.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 151
Science news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
While going through the book 'Problems & Solutions in Optics and Photonics' I was having difficulty in understanding a question & have some issues about my own conceptual know-how in this regard.

The Question is: A quarter-wave plate is rotated between two crossed polaroids. If an unpolarised beam is incident on the first polaroid, discuss the variation of intensity of the emergent beam as the quarter-wave plate is rotated. What will happen if we have a half-wave instead of a quarter-wave plate?

i) If θ is the angle made with respect to the y-axis, why the E(x') component has a "cosθ" instead of a "sinθ" (or in other words how was Resolution carried out here)

ii) Assuming it should indeed be cosθ & after making necessary QWP adjustments of π/2 in the equations, why does only the E(y) propagate here? (Is it due to the fact that it is an E Wave that's not absorbed inside?)

iii) Why did we assume that the wave is x-polarised here, as in what was the purpose for the same and what would it entail if we assume it to be y-polarised instead (will that bring changes in the equation as well)
I would be extremely grateful if someone would guide me & help me plug my conceptual holes
I realized that the image I uploaded seems very blurry. Please find below better quality images.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-005746_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-005746_Drive.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_20220111-005756_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-005756_Drive.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 135
warhammer said:

Are you familiar with Jones calculus and how vectors and matrices are used to represent polarization in an optical system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_calculus

Andy Resnick said:
Are you familiar with Jones calculus and how vectors and matrices are used to represent polarization in an optical system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_calculus
I have heard of the same sir but not at all familiar with it. Moreover I am not sure if I would be 'permitted' to use this in my university for instance, as this is not in the curriculum 😕

warhammer said:
I have heard of the same sir but not at all familiar with it. Moreover I am not sure if I would be 'permitted' to use this in my university for instance, as this is not in the curriculum 😕
I'm not sure what you mean by 'permitted'. It's not classified information...?

Anyhow, your questions are all answered by writing out the Jones matrix for the polarizer-QWP-polarizer system. It's not hard- the wiki link has the individual matrix elements, just multiply them together and you're done.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Apologies for an extremely delayed response.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'permitted'. It's not classified information...?
😅 If I wasn't clear before, what I meant was because it simplifies the question largely, in the university examinations the questions come accompanied with the tagline that one has to employ the traditional methods *other than* Jones Matrices.

Hence I seeked knowledge specifically on the derivation methods specified in the snippet for I had already seen how to apply Jones Matrices for solution of such problems.

1. What is a Quarter Waveplate (QWP)?

A Quarter Waveplate (QWP) is an optical device that is used to control the polarization of light. It is a thin, birefringent plate that is designed to shift the polarization of light passing through it by a quarter of a wavelength.

2. How does a QWP work?

A QWP works by taking advantage of the birefringent properties of certain materials. When light enters the QWP, it is split into two perpendicular polarizations, one of which is delayed by a quarter of a wavelength. When the two polarizations are recombined, the result is a circularly polarized light with a specific handedness.

3. What are the applications of a QWP?

A QWP has many applications in optics and photonics. It is commonly used in devices such as polarimeters, optical modulators, and optical isolators. It is also used in scientific research, telecommunications, and medical imaging.

4. How is a QWP rotated between two polarizers?

To rotate a QWP between two polarizers, the QWP is placed between the two polarizers at a 45-degree angle. The first polarizer is aligned with the input polarization, and the second polarizer is aligned with the output polarization. As the QWP is rotated, the output polarization changes due to the shifting of the quarter-wavelength phase delay.

5. What is the significance of using a QWP between two polarizers?

The use of a QWP between two polarizers allows for precise control of the polarization of light. By rotating the QWP, the output polarization can be adjusted to any desired orientation. This is useful in various applications, such as in polarimetry measurements, where the polarization state of light needs to be accurately controlled.