Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to explain the smallness of mass while the mass parameter diverge rapidly in ?

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    Please teach me this:
    How to understand the smallness of mass while the mass parameter diverge rapidly in renormalization group flow because the mass term in Lagrangian is the relevant operator.By the way,are there always exist the fix point of renormalization group flow in any QTF Theory,or in some theory this point does not exist?
    Thank you very much for any instruction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2
    Re: How to explain the smallness of mass while the mass parameter diverge rapidly in

This problem happen e.g in Phi4 Theory.

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3
    Re: How to explain the smallness of mass while the mass parameter diverge rapidly in

The divergent mass term in the Lagrangian is nothing that you can actually measure physically, it just appears to cancel out divergences that arise in the perturbation series. I don't think it is proven that any quantum field theory has to posess a fixed point in the RG flow.

5. Jun 16, 2011 #4

Please explain more detail,because in renormalization group procedure all thing be done after renormalization.But the mass parameter still diverge rapidly in renormalization group flow.

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5

I do not know whether the evolutional mass flow is before or after renormalization,but if it is before renormalization then what is the meaning of renormalization group?

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6

Thank Mr Polyrhythmic very much! Now I have just understood that the renormalization group is fulfiled ''before'' the renormalization to distroy the infinities.Then after renormalization group flow being done,there are still exist the infinities(the divergence of mass parameter).

8. Jun 17, 2011 #7

At the moment,I think that the renormalization group flow is fulfiled ''after'' the renormalization that having accounted the UV cutting-off(in loop integrals),because we know that the Callan-Symanzik functions are independent of the momentum UV cutting-off(in loop integrals).Then the meaning of renormalization group flow is it permits us to know about the physics at any scale of space-time distance(the scale depends on the renormalization conditions).Is that correct?

9. Jun 18, 2011 #8

That sounds correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook