Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to express the following limit in epsilon-delta language

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Express the following as an epsilon-delta proof (to show that it is continuous):

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow - \infty}f(x) = L[/tex]

Can I get some ideas on this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No one can do that question: you have failed to say what f is.

4. Nov 24, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Just express that in terms of [itex]\epsilon[/itex], [itex]\delta[/itex] for general f and L? Then just use the definition of limit at infinity: the "standard" definition of limit, at some number a, is "Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]." If you really mean "at infinity" then "[itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex]" has to become "x sufficiently large" or "x> X" for some number X.

The definition, then, is
    Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist a real number X such if x> X then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex].

The reason I said 'If you really mean "at infinity"' is that you also say "to show that it is continuous". You are taking the limit as x goes to infinity and a function is never continuous "at infinity". Taking the limit as x GOES to infinity simply means "as x gets larger without bound". "Infinity" is not a specific number and f is not defined "at infinity".
    I wonder if you don't actually mean "limit as x goes to a" for some number a.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook