1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to express the following limit in epsilon-delta language

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Express the following as an epsilon-delta proof (to show that it is continuous):

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow - \infty}f(x) = L[/tex]

Can I get some ideas on this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No one can do that question: you have failed to say what f is.

4. Nov 24, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just express that in terms of [itex]\epsilon[/itex], [itex]\delta[/itex] for general f and L? Then just use the definition of limit at infinity: the "standard" definition of limit, at some number a, is "Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex]." If you really mean "at infinity" then "[itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex]" has to become "x sufficiently large" or "x> X" for some number X.

The definition, then, is
    Given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist a real number X such if x> X then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex].

The reason I said 'If you really mean "at infinity"' is that you also say "to show that it is continuous". You are taking the limit as x goes to infinity and a function is never continuous "at infinity". Taking the limit as x GOES to infinity simply means "as x gets larger without bound". "Infinity" is not a specific number and f is not defined "at infinity".
    I wonder if you don't actually mean "limit as x goes to a" for some number a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?