1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find angle whit system of equations

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i kick a ball with an initial velocity of 18m/s. there is a wall at 8m that has a height of 1.5 meters. whith what angle should i kick the ball so that it bearly passes the wall?

2. Relevant equations
    first equation: hf= 1/2gt^2+vit+hi
    second equation: V=Δx/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    so what i am trying to do is a system of equations isolating t in the second equation and placing it in the first equation. in velosity in the y direction i use 18sin(θ) and for v in the x i use 18cos(θ).
    Also as final heigth i am using 1.6m(just a little higher than the wall) and as xfinal i am using 8.1m(also bearly passing the wall)

the problem is i cant soleve the equation. is this the right way to do it?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

So you have [tex] s_y = v_{oy}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2,[/tex] and you have values for [itex] s_y [/itex] and [itex]v_{oy}. [/itex]
    If you know the wall is 8m away, and you know [itex]v_{ox}, [/itex] then by rearranging [itex] s_x = v_{ox}t [/itex] for [itex] t [/itex] and subbing into the above eqn, you should be able to solve for [itex] θ.[/itex]
    It is just a case of rearranging the final eqn for [itex] θ. [/itex] Is this the part you are having difficulty with?

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3
    sorry what is sy(changes in y?) , and yes that is where i am having trouble. i end up with cosines and sines and cant unite them or cancel them or anithyng

5. Aug 22, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the right way in principle but "just a little higher" can mean anything. Why not 1.55 m? or 1.51 m? So choose y=1.5 m at x=8 m.
    After eliminating t, you get an equation which contains both the tangent and the cosine of theta. (y=tan(θ)x-(g/2)x2/(182cos2(θ)). You certainly know that cos2(θ)=1/(1+tan2(θ)). Use that relation and you get a quadratic equation for tan(θ).

ehild

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

[itex] s_y [/itex] is the vertical displacement of the object. I implicitly assumed [itex] s_o = 0 [/itex] in the equation [tex] s_y - s_o = v_{oy}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex]

7. Aug 22, 2012 #6
    now i got it, great explenation! thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook