How to find angle whit system of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the optimal angle to kick a ball with an initial velocity of 18m/s so that it barely passes a wall at 8m with a height of 1.5m. The solution involves setting up a system of equations and isolating for the angle, using the values of the initial velocity, distance, and height. The difficulty lies in solving the equation, which can be achieved by eliminating time and using trigonometric identities to obtain a quadratic equation for the angle.
felipenavarro

Homework Statement

i kick a ball with an initial velocity of 18m/s. there is a wall at 8m that has a height of 1.5 meters. whith what angle should i kick the ball so that it bearly passes the wall?

Homework Equations

first equation: hf= 1/2gt^2+vit+hi
second equation: V=Δx/t

The Attempt at a Solution

so what i am trying to do is a system of equations isolating t in the second equation and placing it in the first equation. in velosity in the y direction i use 18sin(θ) and for v in the x i use 18cos(θ).
Also as final heigth i am using 1.6m(just a little higher than the wall) and as xfinal i am using 8.1m(also bearly passing the wall)

the problem is i can't soleve the equation. is this the right way to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have [tex] s_y = v_{oy}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2,[/tex] and you have values for [itex] s_y [/itex] and [itex]v_{oy}. [/itex]
If you know the wall is 8m away, and you know [itex]v_{ox}, [/itex] then by rearranging [itex] s_x = v_{ox}t [/itex] for [itex] t [/itex] and subbing into the above eqn, you should be able to solve for [itex] θ.[/itex]
It is just a case of rearranging the final eqn for [itex] θ. [/itex] Is this the part you are having difficulty with?

sorry what is sy(changes in y?) , and yes that is where i am having trouble. i end up with cosines and sines and can't unite them or cancel them or anithyng

felipenavarro said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so what i am trying to do is a system of equations isolating t in the second equation and placing it in the first equation. in velosity in the y direction i use 18sin(θ) and for v in the x i use 18cos(θ).
Also as final heigth i am using 1.6m(just a little higher than the wall) and as xfinal i am using 8.1m(also bearly passing the wall)

the problem is i can't soleve the equation. is this the right way to do it?

It is the right way in principle but "just a little higher" can mean anything. Why not 1.55 m? or 1.51 m? So choose y=1.5 m at x=8 m.
After eliminating t, you get an equation which contains both the tangent and the cosine of theta. (y=tan(θ)x-(g/2)x2/(182cos2(θ)). You certainly know that cos2(θ)=1/(1+tan2(θ)). Use that relation and you get a quadratic equation for tan(θ).

ehild

Last edited:
sorry what is sy(changes in y?) , and yes that is where i am having trouble. i end up with cosines and sines and can't unite them or anithyng

[itex] s_y [/itex] is the vertical displacement of the object. I implicitly assumed [itex] s_o = 0 [/itex] in the equation [tex] s_y - s_o = v_{oy}t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2 [/tex]

now i got it, great explenation! thanks

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that have common variables. It is used to solve for the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

How do I find the angle using a system of equations?

To find the angle using a system of equations, you need to have two or more equations that relate to the angle you are trying to find. You can then solve the system of equations to determine the value of the angle.

What is the method for solving a system of equations to find an angle?

The most common method for solving a system of equations to find an angle is substitution. This involves solving one equation for a variable and then substituting that value into the other equation. You can then solve for the remaining variable and use that value to find the angle.

Can I use a calculator to solve a system of equations for finding an angle?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a system of equations for finding an angle. Most scientific and graphing calculators have the ability to solve systems of equations. You can also use online calculators or computer software to solve systems of equations.

Are there any special cases when using a system of equations to find an angle?

Yes, there are some special cases when using a system of equations to find an angle. For example, if the system of equations has no solution, then the angle cannot be determined. Also, if the system of equations has infinitely many solutions, then the angle may have multiple possible values.