1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find Coeff of kinetic friction without mass?

Tags:
  1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For my Physics lab this is what my teacher handed me... I have no idea how to attack the situation, can someone help solve?
    Devise a procedure for an experiment which will measure the coefficient of kinetic friction between a block of unknown mass m and the table, where the only equipment which can be used is the following:
    1) A string of negligible mass
    2) two blocks of unknown identical masses which are able to be attached to string
    3) a pulley
    4) measuring tape(s)
    Derive an expression for the coefficient of friction between the table and the block in terms of g and quantities measured with the equipment above.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Pierce, :welcome:

First post on PF and you bump into a culture issue: the guidelines require an attempt on your part.
    List the equations that you think are relevant,
    Describe some experiments that would help you determine relevant variables, etc.

And don't worry: mass might well divide away and thus drop out of the calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted