How to Find Critical Points of f(x) = xln(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jtulloss
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I need help finding the critical points of this equation:

f(x) = xln(x)

I found f'(x) to be ln(x)+x, but I don't know how to solve for x when setting f'(x) to 0 to find the critical points. I know I can find the zeros of f'(x) graphically on a calculator, but I need to know how to do it algebraically.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jtulloss said:
I need help finding the critical points of this equation:

f(x) = xln(x)

I found f'(x) to be ln(x)+x,
It's not lnx + x.
 
Ah man, I can't believe I overlooked that. I've been doing that a lot lately with studying for exams and all. I got it now.

Thanks