1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find drag polar equation of Cl vs Cd graph

1. Mar 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I plotted the drag polar graph (Drag coefficient vs. lift coefficient) for an aircraft and are required to find the equation of the drag polar to determine values for [C][/D0] and k, using the graph or any other method. Ive plotted the graph which ive included.

2. Relevant equations
    CD=CDO+K*CL^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that CD0 is the point at which the graph intersects the x axis but what is k is it the gradient of the linear part of the graph? And what is the other method of analysing it, just out of curiosity. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no good fit of the data to an equation of the form Cd = Cd0 + k(Cl2).
    There is a better fit of the data to a curve of the form Cl = Cl0 + k(Cd-0.4)2.
    Approximately Cl = 0.184 + 0.4×(Cd-0.4)2

I wonder if you are being asked to determine the tangent line from (0,0) to the curve. That gives the greatest lift-to-drag ratio. That would be the line from (0,0) to about (0.275, 0.82).

EDIT: The OP noticed that the chart had the lift and drag axis switched. So all the lift and drag coefficients in this should have been switched.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. Mar 9, 2017 #3
    What about if like you said I draw a tangent line and then simply allied y=mx + c so y = Cd m = k, x = Cl^2, c = Cdo do you think that would be correct?

5. Mar 9, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not exactly. Instead of Cl2, it must be (Cl - Cl0)2, where Cl0 is the minimal lift value. See the equation in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_polar

6. Mar 10, 2017 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just eyeballing the original data, I don't see why the regression didn't give (approximately) Cd0 = .25, Cl0 = 0.4 and k = 0.3. I wonder if I did the regression correctly. Or maybe it is sensitive to the original choice of Cl0 = 0.4 (which was eyeballed). Maybe Cl0 = 0.45 would have fit the upper Cl values better. The lower Cl values do not fit the model well. They are too low.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted