How to find drag polar equation of Cl vs Cd graph

  • Thread starter Thread starter MattH150197
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drag Graph Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
MattH150197
Messages
60
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


I plotted the drag polar graph (Drag coefficient vs. lift coefficient) for an aircraft and are required to find the equation of the drag polar to determine values for [C][/D0] and k, using the graph or any other method. I've plotted the graph which I've included.

Homework Equations


CD=CDO+K*CL^2 [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that CD0 is the point at which the graph intersects the x-axis but what is k is it the gradient of the linear part of the graph? And what is the other method of analysing it, just out of curiosity. Thanks
 
Attachments
  • drag co. v lift co..png
    drag co. v lift co..png
    7.8 KB · Views: 4,848
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no good fit of the data to an equation of the form Cd = Cd0 + k(Cl2).
There is a better fit of the data to a curve of the form Cl = Cl0 + k(Cd-0.4)2.
Approximately Cl = 0.184 + 0.4×(Cd-0.4)2

I wonder if you are being asked to determine the tangent line from (0,0) to the curve. That gives the greatest lift-to-drag ratio. That would be the line from (0,0) to about (0.275, 0.82).

EDIT: The OP noticed that the chart had the lift and drag axis switched. So all the lift and drag coefficients in this should have been switched.
 
Last edited:
What about if like you said I draw a tangent line and then simply allied y=mx + c so y = Cd m = k, x = Cl^2, c = Cdo do you think that would be correct?
 
MattH150197 said:
What about if like you said I draw a tangent line and then simply allied y=mx + c so y = Cd m = k, x = Cl^2, c = Cdo do you think that would be correct?
Not exactly. Instead of Cl2, it must be (Cl - Cl0)2, where Cl0 is the minimal lift value. See the equation in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_polar
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MattH150197
Just eyeballing the original data, I don't see why the regression didn't give (approximately) Cd0 = .25, Cl0 = 0.4 and k = 0.3. I wonder if I did the regression correctly. Or maybe it is sensitive to the original choice of Cl0 = 0.4 (which was eyeballed). Maybe Cl0 = 0.45 would have fit the upper Cl values better. The lower Cl values do not fit the model well. They are too low.