How to find energy of sound wave

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MySecretAlias
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In room temperature air, which of the following sound waves would have the greatest energy associated with it?

A. A wave with lambda equal to 4.7 on
B. A wave with a frequency of 2.6 Hz
C. A wave which has a distance between adjacent nodes (1/2lambda) of 21mm


Homework Equations


v = f x lambda ?
maybe KE = 1/2mv^2 and PE = PGH?
no idea.


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not exactly sure what an "on" is (referring to letter A, unless that's supposed to be inches? not sure).

A =
?
B = 2.6 Hz
already stated
C = 1633Hz, so above B.
343 = f x .021
343/.21 = 1633Hz
I know higher frequency = higher energy.. so I know The answer is either A or C. Since I don't know what an "on" is, I'm having trouble solving for it. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org