Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find Fuel consumption for 10 MW Gas Generator

1. Sep 13, 2015 #1
    Hi

I am working on Bio Gas Project and I want to know calculations/Formulas to find out elements of Generator.

I am MBA students and i have to submit my project report with to start up new firm on renewable energy.

Please submit can share your knowledge to help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You should Google spec sheets for existing commercial projects. Try Capstone Microturbines for a start.

Often though, you look at the issue from the other direction: what is the fuel source and how much is available?

4. Sep 13, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a very vague request. The term "generator" has multiple technical meanings. What kind of generator? Or is it an entire power generating plant which is fueled by biogas? If you use the biogas to run a diesel or gas turbine, you'll get a range of fuel consumption figures. Same if the biogas is burned in a boiler to make steam to generate power.

5. Sep 13, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So you are showing no effort and asking us to do your homework for you?

6. Sep 14, 2015 #5
    Yes,Its an Power Generating plan which will function on Bio gas as fuel.
    That means you want to say all parameters will be same for Disel or gas turbine and steam to generate power using Bio gas

7. Sep 14, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean by the term "parameters" here. All we know for certain is that this plant is intended to generate 10 MW of power.

The fuel efficiency of various types of power plant (steam, diesel, gas turbine) differs quite a bit, so in order to estimate how much biogas you need to generate 10 MW of power, you need to find out what sort of numbers to expect for these different generating options.

8. Sep 14, 2015 #7
    You need to look at combined cycle alternatives, Google it.

9. Sep 15, 2015 #8
    you can find the fuel consumption in the data sheet or specs of your generator, the data sheet is available in the manufacturer of your generator.

so the first thing you need to do is to choose first your generator, google biogas generator theres a lot of company manufacturing it like GE, rolls royce, pratt and whitney etc.

theres a lot of genarator in the market, so you choose it based on your requirement like type of fuel, cooling system(water or air cooled), etc. im talking here about electric generator fueled by biogas/methane.

with regards to steam power plant wherein you use boiler fuled by biogas, the same thing to do, choose your boiler first.

decide what system to go(boiler or generator), there a lot of consideration here to make it more efficient and economical

google "how to design a biogas plant"

10. Sep 16, 2015 #9
    Thanks a lot
    I tried on Google "How to design a Bio gas Plant". I have not got any relevant information.
    If you have any link please share.
    Once again thanks for information

11. Sep 16, 2015 #10

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Sep 16, 2015 #11

Thanks for sharing information
    10,000 kwh is Complete unit energy consumption which i estimated.
    Now all i have to find how much Bio gas required to generate 10 MW power and to find this i want to know how to find bio gas consumption per hour for any 10 MW generator.

13. Sep 16, 2015 #12

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook