How to find Mass of an object when given Force and an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of an object held steady by two opposing forces. The question involves using the equation Ʃ Force = Mass * Acceleration and calculating the vertical contribution of force. There is also mention of finding the x and y components of each force and the possibility of posting an image on the site.
physics120bsu
A mass is being held steady by a force of 7 N at 0 degrees and an opposing but equating force of 40.3 N at 100 degrees. Find the mass of the object.

Ʃ Force = Mass * Acceleration.

I found the vertical contribution of force from the force at 100 degrees to be 40.9 N but I attempted to calculated the mass from this by using this at a normal force that would oppose weight and so I divided by 9.8 and found 4.17 kgs and that was wrong. What do I do?

Attachments

• physics.gif
    physics.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the question verbatim?

You can find the x and y components of each and find the resulting vector from that.

The question has an image so I wrote it instead. Is there a way I can put an image up on this site?

You should post your calculations. You have a force of 40.3 N @ 100 deg. (referenced to what?), yet you calculated a vertical component of 40.9 N. The magnitude of the component can't be greater than the magnitude of the original vector.

1. How do you calculate mass when given force and angle?

To calculate the mass of an object when given force and angle, you can use the equation: mass = force / (gravity x sine of angle). This will give you the mass in units of kilograms (kg).

2. What is the role of force in finding mass?

Force is an important factor in calculating mass because it is needed to determine the acceleration of an object. The equation for force is mass x acceleration, so by rearranging the equation, we can solve for mass when given force and angle.

3. Can you explain the significance of the angle in this calculation?

The angle is significant because it represents the direction of the force being applied to the object. In order to accurately calculate the mass, we need to know both the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the object.

4. Is this equation only applicable to objects on Earth?

No, this equation is applicable to any object, regardless of its location or gravitational pull. However, the value used for gravity will vary depending on the location. On Earth, the standard value for gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Yes, there may be other factors such as air resistance or friction that can affect the accuracy of the calculation. These factors should be taken into consideration when conducting experiments and may require additional calculations to account for their impact on the object's mass.