1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find Mass of an object when given Force and an angle!

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    A mass is being held steady by a force of 7 N at 0 degrees and an opposing but equating force of 40.3 N at 100 degrees. Find the mass of the object.

Ʃ Force = Mass * Acceleration.

I found the vertical contribution of force from the force at 100 degrees to be 40.9 N but I attempted to calculated the mass from this by using this at a normal force that would oppose weight and so I divided by 9.8 and found 4.17 kgs and that was wrong. What do I do?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2
    Is that the question verbatim?

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    You can find the x and y components of each and find the resulting vector from that.

5. Sep 19, 2013 #4
    The question has an image so I wrote it instead. Is there a way I can put an image up on this site?

6. Sep 20, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should post your calculations. You have a force of 40.3 N @ 100 deg. (referenced to what?), yet you calculated a vertical component of 40.9 N. The magnitude of the component can't be greater than the magnitude of the original vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted