1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find probability in repeated trials?

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    Info: I made the mistake of starting engineering grad school years after finishing my undergrad, and forgot my basic prob/stat. This is related to reliability engineering.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How many arbitrarily selected units do I have to test so that my probability is 0.85 of finding one at least one defective product if I have a 0.05 defect rate for this particular product.

2. Relevant equations

Binomial Probability Formula

binomial%20probability%20formula.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried setting the formula to be equal to 0.85, k=1 (because I only need one to fail), and left number of trials as "n" to solve for. I have tried to solve for this and was having a tough time, and I am not even sure if this is the correct approach.

Edit: p=0.05 and q=1-p=0.95

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The probability of getting at least one failure after k trials is one minus the probability of getting no failures after k trials. You should find the 'no failures' case easier to solve.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What Dick said. To elaborate, setting k=1 gives the probability of exactly one failure - you want at least one.

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What Dick said. To elaborate, setting k=1 gives the probability of exactly one failure - you want at least one.

6. Jun 27, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the help guys. That was a herp-derp moment for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted