How to find scale factor at recombination?

In summary, the temperature of ancient light can be extrapolated from the temperature of the CMB using the redshift equation. This is because the energy density of a blackbody photon gas is proportional to T^4 and the energy density of radiation is proportional to a^-4, making T proportional to 1/a. This relationship holds true for both the matter-dominated and radiation-dominated eras. Therefore, the scale factor at recombination can be estimated by taking into account the matter-dominated era and the temperature of the CMB.
eherrtelle59
If we know that the temperature of photons was apprx. 3000 K at recombination and the temperature of the CMB is apprx. 2.725 K today, how can we extrapolate the value of the scale factor at recombination?

I know that recombination happens at a matter-dominated era, such that the density goes a^-3 ****(not a^-4) and that at this era a(t) goes t^2/3

But this doesn't tell me how a(t) is related to temperature...

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
1+z is usually given as about 1090, at recombination.
So that would make a(recomb.) = 1/1090

The temperature of the ancient light goes as 1/a

You can think of it as the number of photons per unit volume going as 1/a3
and the energy of an individual photon going as 1/a (as its wavelength lengthens).
So the energy density of the ancient light goes as 1/a4
And you know the fourth power law of temperature.

Last edited:
Using the redshift equation occurred to me, but according to the problem I should be using T=3000 and T=2.725

So, you're saying T goes 1/a. This is for relativistic fluids at "ancient times"?

I'm not quite sure I understand your explanation for the derivation of this...

In any sense, if I use T=3000, then a is around 3*10^-3 ?

athen/anow = 2.725/3000.

@BillSaltLake

I'm afraid there's something I'm missing conceptually. Why can we conclude that we can put temperature values into the redshift equation as you have done?

I should also point out I'm confused as to how this relates to the matter-dominated era.

To be clear, my estimate for the scale factor at recombination should take two things into account
1) matter dominated era such that denisty goes a^-4 and
2) T of CMB is about 2.725

eherrtelle59 said:
1) matter dominated era such that denisty goes a^-4

In the matter-dominated era, density goes as a^-3; in the radiation-dominated era, density goes as a^-4.

Or do you mean just the energy density of radiation, which goes as a^-4 in all eras.

@George

Sorry George, I meant at a^-3 for matter dominated, as recombination occurs after the radiation-dominated era.

1)The energy density of a blackbody photon gas is proportional to T^4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_gas;

2) the energy density of radiation is proportional to a^-4, even in the matter-dominated era;

3) therefore, T is proportional to 1/a.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha!

2) was the conceptual issue. In any era, the energy density of relativistic matter goes a^-4.

Thanks George! (and the others who answered!)

Here's a simple explanation offered earlier for George's point 2)
marcus said:
You can think of it as the number of photons per unit volume going as 1/a3
and the energy of an individual photon going as 1/a (as its wavelength lengthens).
So the energy density of the ancient light goes as 1/a4

1. What is the scale factor at recombination?

The scale factor at recombination refers to the ratio of the size of the universe at the time of recombination to its current size. It is a measure of how much the universe has expanded since the time of recombination, which occurred approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

2. How is the scale factor at recombination calculated?

The scale factor at recombination is calculated by using the observed temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the thermal radiation from the early universe. By measuring the redshift of this radiation, scientists can determine the scale factor at recombination.

3. Why is the scale factor at recombination important?

The scale factor at recombination is important because it provides valuable information about the expansion rate and history of the universe. It also helps to validate the current model of the universe, known as the Lambda-CDM model, which is based on the theory of general relativity.

4. What is the relationship between the scale factor at recombination and the age of the universe?

The scale factor at recombination is closely related to the age of the universe. In fact, the age of the universe can be calculated by using the scale factor at recombination, along with other cosmological parameters such as the density and composition of the universe.

5. Can the scale factor at recombination change over time?

Yes, the scale factor at recombination can change over time. In fact, it has been increasing since the time of recombination, as the universe continues to expand. However, the rate of expansion has been accelerating in recent history due to the presence of dark energy, causing the scale factor to increase at a faster rate.