1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find solutions to a Legendre equation?

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the first three positive values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] for which the problem:

[itex](1-x^2)y^n-2xy'+\lambda y = 0, \ y(0)=0, \ y(x)[/itex] & [itex]y'(x)[/itex] bounded on [itex][-1, 1][/itex]

has nontrivial solutions.

2. Relevant equations

When n is even:

[itex]y_1(x) = 1 - \frac{n(n+1)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{(n-2)(n(n+1)(n+3)}{4!} - ...[/itex]

When n is odd:

[itex]y_2(x) = x - \frac{(n-1)(n+2)}{3!} + \frac{(n-3)(n-1)(n+2)(n+4)}{5!} - ...[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to do part of the problem myself. By plugging in zero into both of the above equations and then comparing to initial conditions, I was able to determine that n is odd. However, I don't know what to do next.

My textbook does not have *any* examples for this type of problem and I haven't been able to find anything I understand online. I looked the problem up on Chegg and found it here:

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...hapter-6.4-problem-47e-solution-9781111827052

Steps 1-2 on there are basically what I did, but then they jump to the answer in step 3 with zero explanation as to how they got there.

I don't want to just copy what they did with no understanding of how they got there, I want to actually understand it.. Can anyone explain what I need to do next to get the solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The usual approach is to find a series solution. The requirement that y and y' remain bounded requires that ##\lambda## take on only certain values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted