How to find strain in simple cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the strain in a rectangular cantilever beam under a point load. The questioner is not able to find the formula for this and is urgently seeking help. The responder suggests using Hooke's Law, which links stress and strain, and provides a link to a specific formula for cantilever beams. They also mention that the strain is equal to the stress divided by the Young's elastic modulus, and offer to send more information to the questioner's email address.
ashunitk
Hello to everyone,
my question is how to find strain in rectangular cantilever beam applying point load at some point. I am not getting formulas for that..Please save me from this. Its very urgent for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi ashunitk, welcome to PF. Are you able to find the stress? Hooke's Law links stress and strain.

I am not cleared with wat u have given answer about how to find strain. Can u just send me formula to find strain of cantilever beam of rectangular cross section having point load at its free end with description of formula.

Ya what u said is right but that is general ..but i want specific to cantilever beam.As u said strain equals to stress by young's modulus.Where stress equals to force by area.can u send some document regarding to my mail id if so my id is zoom143.ashwin@gmail.com...

1. What is a simple cantilever beam?

A simple cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at one end and free to move at the other end. This type of beam is commonly used in engineering and construction projects.

2. How do you calculate the strain in a simple cantilever beam?

The strain in a simple cantilever beam can be calculated using the formula strain = (change in length/original length), where the change in length is the difference between the original length and the deformed length of the beam.

3. What factors affect the strain in a simple cantilever beam?

The strain in a simple cantilever beam can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the beam, the load applied, the length and cross-sectional area of the beam, and the support conditions.

4. How can I measure the strain in a simple cantilever beam?

The strain in a simple cantilever beam can be measured using strain gauges, which are sensors that detect changes in the length of the beam and convert it into an electrical signal. These gauges can be attached to the surface of the beam and connected to a data acquisition system for measurement.

5. What is the importance of finding the strain in a simple cantilever beam?

Finding the strain in a simple cantilever beam is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the beam. It can also help engineers and designers make informed decisions about the material and size of the beam for a given application.