How to find tension in two ropes supporting a box at unequal angles

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter yyttr2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Static
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
yyttr2
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
ok, I am preparing for a test and I can not find this explained simply online.

how do I find the force of tension on two ropes supporting a box (mg=98N) if the angle that the ropes form are not equal to one another?
Equil1.gif


please help? D:
 
Attachments
  • Equil1.gif
    Equil1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 413
  • Equil1.gif
    Equil1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yyttr2! :smile:
yyttr2 said:
ok, I am preparing for a test and I can not find this explained simply online.

how do I find the force of tension on two ropes supporting a box (mg=98N) if the angle that the ropes form are not equal to one another?

Call one T1 and the other T2, and then either draw a vector triangle, or take components in some suitable direction (perpendicular to either string is fastest). :wink:

Why is that worrying you? :smile: