Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to find the angle between an XYZ vector and the y-axis? Please help

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    How to find the angle between an XYZ vector and the y-axis? Please help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vector is given as follows:

A = 2i - 2j - 3k

The angle between A and the y-axis is, in degrees, closest to?:

2. Relevant equations

c = ab sin[tex]\theta[/tex] ????

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried:

cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = (AdotB)/(A x B)

I tried to set a vector along the y-axis to use as B.

Isolating [tex]\theta[/tex] yielded 56.3 degrees, which is apparently incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: How to find the angle between an XYZ vector and the y-axis? Please help!!!

Maybe try using the cross-product instead of the dot-product...

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3

To be honest, I don't know what formula to use and I don't even know if I can use the y-axis as a vector.

I don't want the answer... I just want to know where to start and what procedure I should use.

I'm pretty confused.

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're just mixing up the dot product and the cross product. You should have

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B} = |A||B|\cos \theta[/tex]
    [tex]|\vec{A}\times\vec{B}| = |A||B|\sin \theta[/tex]

You can use either to find the angle [itex]\theta[/itex].

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5

berkeman

The unit vector in the direction of the y-axis is the j vector. Do you know the equation for the vector cross-product? How could you perhaps use it to find the angle?

7. Feb 4, 2010 #6

Well like vela posted the cross-product formula is LaTeX Code: [tex]|\vec{A} X \vec{B}| = |A||B|sin \theta [/tex]

But I only have a vector A? Or can I use components of vector A in that formula?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  8. Feb 4, 2010 #7

berkeman

I tried to clean up your latex -- hope I got it right.

Since you are asked to find the angle with the y axis, you have two vectors. you have A, and you have j. If you cross A into j as vectors, you will get an answer that has the inclusive angle in it. Do you know how to calculate the cross-product using a determinant?

9. Feb 4, 2010 #8

That part I do know how to do. But if I crossed vectors A and j, wouldn't I just get a vector in some form of i + j + k? How would I calculate an angle from that?

10. Feb 4, 2010 #9

berkeman

Use the magnitude equation that you posted a couple steps back. The magnitude of the vector resultant is related to the magnitude of A and j and ...

11. Feb 4, 2010 #10

Ahh, of sintheta

I'm getting it now.

Is j = (0i -2j + 0k)? Is it as simple as that?

12. Feb 4, 2010 #11

I tried to solve it as such... and I got 61 degrees which was wrong...

13. Feb 4, 2010 #12

berkeman

Post the details of your calculation. Also, make a good sketch for yourself in 3-space, to get an intuitive feel for what the answer should be.

14. Feb 4, 2010 #13

A = 2i - 2j - 3k ... A = 4.12
    j = 0 + 1j + 0 ... j = 1
    Code (Text):

|i   j   k |
    |2  -2  -3 |
    |0   1   0 |...... this matrix yielded [B]N[/B] = 3i + 2k ... N = 3.61

N = Aj sintheta
    theta = sin^(-1) (N/Aj) = 61 degrees

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  15. Feb 4, 2010 #14

berkeman

Yeah, I get the same answer. It's not right? Do they want a couple figures to the right of the decimal point maybe?

16. Feb 4, 2010 #15

berkeman

Oops, I see it's multiple choice. What does it look like in your sketch?

17. Feb 4, 2010 #16

It's a multiple choice problem with the choices being:

I've already tried 2 answers, forfeiting 50% of the potential credit. Is it possible that it is 151 degrees? That is 61+90 degrees... Or 119? 180 - 61?

God I hate Mastering Physics. They gave us a free trial for it as LSU. What's the catch? We're basically beta testers. Infuriating.

18. Feb 4, 2010 #17

I'm bad at sketching 3d and I really don't know how to interpret my sketch.

19. Feb 4, 2010 #18

berkeman

I think the sketch is needed to see the answer. It's over 90 degrees to the positive y axis... Since the answer is multi-valued, our calculators only gave us the value for the first quadrant of the sine function...

20. Feb 4, 2010 #19

Eh, I am bad at sketching in 3d. What can I say about it really? It's below the XY plane?

Exactly what is theta in this case?

21. Feb 4, 2010 #20

The answer was 119 apparently. I don't even know why. Maybe my sketch is just extremely difficult to interpret? Blah.

Anyway, thanks for the time and input. At least I have the raw calculation part down.

Thanks a bunch.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook