Finding Vector Components Using Angle and Magnitude | Vector A along Vector B

• Thread starter AR1399
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, to find the component of one vector A along another vector B, one can use the equation A(cos theta) and A(sin theta). Another method is to compute the dot product between the vector and the unit vector in the direction of the "pseudo x axis," which can be found by creating a "pseudo y axis" and finding the angle between them. This can be represented as V vector . B vector / Magnitude(B vector).
AR1399

Homework Statement

To find the component of one vector A along another vector B.

Homework Equations

Components are A(cos theta) and A(sin theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried was to consider the vector B as a "pseudo x axis" and draw a subsequent "pseudo y axis". Then, using angle between them, I found A(cos theta).
I'm not sure this is the correct method, so could someone point out how correctly to find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the component of a vector ##\vec V## in the direction of real x axis, you compute ## \vec V \cdot \hat x##. What will it become for your "pseudo x axis"?

Likes AR1399
Ok, so if it is V vector . x cap, then for for V vector along B vector it should be
V vector . B cap, or rather, V vector . B vector / Magnitude(B vector), right?

NOW I got it! Thnx a ton man!

1. What is the formula for finding vector components using angle and magnitude?

The formula for finding vector components using angle and magnitude is: Vector A = Magnitude * cos(Angle) i + Magnitude * sin(Angle) j, where i and j represent the unit vectors in the x and y direction, respectively.

2. How do I determine the angle and magnitude of a vector?

To determine the angle and magnitude of a vector, you will need to know the x and y components of the vector. You can then use the following formulas: Magnitude = √(x^2 + y^2) and Angle = tan^-1(y/x). Alternatively, you can use trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent to determine the angle and magnitude.

3. Can I find the vector components using angle and magnitude for any type of vector?

Yes, you can find the vector components using angle and magnitude for any type of vector as long as you know the angle and magnitude of the vector. This method is especially useful for finding components of vectors that are not aligned with the x and y axes.

4. How do I represent the vector components using angle and magnitude in a graphical form?

You can represent the vector components using angle and magnitude in a graphical form by drawing a right triangle with the vector as the hypotenuse. The angle between the vector and the x-axis can be represented by the angle of the triangle, and the length of the sides of the triangle can represent the x and y components of the vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding vector components using angle and magnitude?

Finding vector components using angle and magnitude is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate forces acting on objects, determine the direction and magnitude of an electric field, and plot the movement of objects in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It is also used in GPS systems to calculate the distance and direction between two points.