How to find the equation of a parabola.

  • Thread starter Thread starter john_blah
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Parabola
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 68K views
john_blah
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the equation of the parabola if you have the following information:
Xintersects: (-4;0) and (0;0)
Yint: y = 7
Vertex: (-2;7)



Homework Equations


The equation must be in the standard form:
y=ax^2 + bx + c


The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to put it into the equation y = a(x^2 - p) + q but I have no idea how to put it into the y=ax^2 + bx + c form, which is asked.


Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
john_blah said:

Homework Statement


Find the equation of the parabola if you have the following information:
Xintersects: (-4;0) and (0;0)
Yint: y = 7
Vertex: (-2;7)



Homework Equations


The equation must be in the standard form:
y=ax^2 + bx + c


The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to put it into the equation y = a(x^2 - p) + q but I have no idea how to put it into the y=ax^2 + bx + c form, which is asked.


Thanks
I think you mean you know how to put it in the form y = a(x - p)2 + q. Why not put it in this form and then expand the right hand side so it looks like y=ax2+bx+c?
 
Alright but unfortunately I have got no idea how to do that. Could you please elaborate?
 
Expand the right hand side to give y=a(x2-2px+p2)+q. Now can you spot the value of a,b and c in y=ax2+bx+c from this above expression?
 
Oh my word I can't believe I did not see that before!

Thank you! :smile: