How to find the exact value of cos 67.5 ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jkristia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cos Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 11K views
jkristia
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
One of the questions in the homework for online precalc class I'm taking is to find the exact value for cos (67.5).
At first I didn't realize that I should just take the half angle of 135, so instead I tried to find the value for cos (45 + 45/2), and got stuck at this point.

attachment.php?attachmentid=44118&stc=1&d=1329679233.png


If I calculate the actual value I get the correct answer, but I'm not able to see how I can simplify this further.
I know the solution is as simple as finding the half angle value of

attachment.php?attachmentid=44119&stc=1&d=1329679233.png


Any suggestions of how I can get from my first attempt solution to the simpler (and correct) solution?
 
Attachments
  • attempt1.png
    attempt1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 2,592
  • attempt2.png
    attempt2.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 2,416
Physics news on Phys.org
How is Cos(x) related to Cos(x+90), how is Cos(x+90) related to other trig functions?
 
Try multiplying both the top and bottom by ##\sqrt{2-\sqrt{2}}##.
 
>>How is Cos(x) related to Cos(x+90), how
yeah, that definitely makes it simpler

attachment.php?attachmentid=44137&stc=1&d=1329699522.png


>>Try multiplying both the top and bottom by
I have tried, but I seem to end up with a square root I can't get rid of, but I will keep trying.


Thanks for your help
Jesper
 
Attachments
  • attempt3.png
    attempt3.png
    2 KB · Views: 3,465
Hi, jkristia,

Square your formula for cos(45+45/2), simplify, and then take the square root.ehild
 
ehild said:
Hi, jkristia,

Square your formula for cos(45+45/2), simplify, and then take the square root.


ehild

ah - of course, that works
Thank you very much