Help with Finding Angles of an Octagon

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation is about finding the angles of a regular octagon. The person has already found the internal and external angles and determined that it is an isosceles triangle. They are having trouble explaining why dividing 135 by 2 gives the correct answer for the base angles. Another person suggests starting with angle ##\hat{A}## and extending lines AC and BC to find the angle.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I was wondering if someone could help with the following:-

I have a regular octagon.

Find angle CBA, ACB, BAC.

Lines BA and AC are equal in length.

I have done the following:-

Found all the internal angles and all the external angles.

I know that I have an isosceles triangle because BA & AC are equal so the base angles are equal.

My guys felling is that I need to divide 135 by 2 to get 67.5, so my base angles ate 67.5, 67.5 and my third angle is 45.

But I cannot explain why I dividing 153 by 2 gives the correct answer can anyone explain?

Attachments

• octagon.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 188
Physics news on Phys.org
For me, the easiest way to do this is to start with angle ##\hat{A}##, you should be able to find it without knowing any other angles. Hint: extend AC and BC past A.

What is an octagon?

An octagon is a polygon with eight sides and eight angles.

How do I find the measure of each angle in an octagon?

To find the measure of each angle in an octagon, divide 360 degrees by the number of angles, which is 8. This means each angle in an octagon has a measure of 45 degrees.

What is the sum of the angles in an octagon?

The sum of all the angles in an octagon is 1080 degrees. This can be calculated by using the formula (n-2) x 180, where n is the number of sides or angles.

How do I use the properties of an octagon to find the missing angles?

One way to find the missing angles in an octagon is by using the fact that opposite angles in an octagon are congruent. You can also use the fact that the sum of the interior angles of an octagon is 1080 degrees to find missing angles.

What are some real-life applications of finding angles in an octagon?

Finding angles in an octagon is important in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction. It is also useful in creating and designing shapes for art and graphic design projects.