How to find the fourier transform of exp(-|x|)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
samdawy
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have been trying to solve the Fourier transform of exp(-|x|)


Homework Equations



Do I need to split the function into two parts with different limits,i.e. the first has a limit from -infinity to zero and the secod from zero to +infinity. Please advise?

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
samdawy said:
Do I need to split the function into two parts with different limits,i.e. the first has a limit from -infinity to zero and the secod from zero to +infinity. Please advise?

That sounds like a good plan to me :smile:...what do you get when you d that?
 
To be honest, I just assumed the exp(-|x|) is equal to exp(-x) for x between the minus and positive infinity and did the normal integration. Am I in the right track?
 
Well, |x| is equal to -x for negative values of x isn't it?...And so in the interval -inf to 0, exp(-|x|)=exp(+x)...that is why you need to break the integration into two parts.
 
should not |x| for any negative value equal to +x ?

sorry but I am a little bit confused,
 
if x is negative, then +x is also negative isn't it?:wink:

For example, let's look at x=-2...clearly +x=-2 while -x=+2 so |x|=-x in this case since |-2|=2...do you follow?
 
Yah, I got it

I really thank you for you clarification