Fourier series and the shifting property of Fourier transform

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
MartynaJ
Messages
18
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
If ##f(x)=-f(x+L/2)##, where L is the period of the periodic function ##f(x)##, then the coefficient of the even term of its Fourier series is zero. Hint: we can use the shifting property of the Fourier transform.
Relevant Equations
See above please
Summary:: If ##f(x)=-f(x+L/2)##, where L is the period of the periodic function ##f(x)##, then the coefficient of the even term of its Fourier series is zero. Hint: we can use the shifting property of the Fourier transform.

So here's my attempt to this problem so far:

##f(x)=-f(x+\frac{L}{2})## Then using the shifting property of the Fourier Transform we get: ##F(u)=-F(u)e^{2\pi i u\frac{L}{2}}##

And a periodic function is a function in the form ##f(x)=f(x+L)##. Now using the shifting property of the Fourier Transform we get: ##F(u)=F(u)e^{2\pi i u L}##

Making these two functions equal, I get:
##-e^{2\pi i u\frac{L}{2}}=e^{2\pi i u L}##

Now I don't know what else to do to prove the question. Did I go wrong anywhere?
I also know that if the even terms of Fourier series is zero, this means that function is odd, i.e. ##f(-x)=-f(x)##
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks about a Fourier Series (for periodic functions defined on interval L) not the Fourier Transform. Similar but different. Make sure you understand the distinction.
 
hutchphd said:
The question asks about a Fourier Series (for periodic functions defined on interval L) not the Fourier Transform. Similar but different. Make sure you understand the distinction.
Ya but it gives us the hint to use the shifting property of Fourier transform to solve the problem
 
Oh I see. Your constraint equations for F(u) is correct. Only for certain integer values of u can that be correct. What are they?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
hutchphd said:
Oh I see. Your constraint equations for F(u) is correct. Only for certain integer values of u can that be correct. What are they?
how can I find out?
 
I should have said integer values of uxL . Try a few ...

Revised!