How to Find the Induced EMF in a Coil Surrounding a Solenoid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 14K views
stryker123
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A coil of 15 turns and radius 10cm surrounds a long solenoid of radius 2cm and 1x10^3 turns/m. The current in the solenoid changes as I = (5A)sin(120t). Find the induced emf in the 15-turn coil as a function of time.


Homework Equations



emf = -Nd[flux]/dt

d[flux] = int[B*dA]


The Attempt at a Solution



I have no idea how to start this. I tried doing some basic problems, but I just do not understand any of it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the magnetic field inside a solenoid? What magnetic flux passes through the coil?
 
Never mind, I posted my own thread.
 
Last edited:
What is the difference between a coil and a solenoid? (I'm asking the question seriously).
 
cepheid said:
What is the difference between a coil and a solenoid? (I'm asking the question seriously).

For this problem:

COIL
mult_layer_air_coil.png


Solenoid
solenoid.jpg


In general people may (and will) say "coil" for the second case too.
 
Did you consider using the mutual inductance of the coil-solenoid system?

I have a theory question for you that might help to get you started on this problem:

What special characteristic of Mutual inductance helps us to quickly and easily solve problems like this?

Good luck,

Wynand.