Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the number of elements with a particular order in a group?

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1
    I'm preparing for an upcoming exam, and as I see one of the typical questions that is frequently asked in our exams is about finding the number of elements that have a particular order in a group like Sn.

I searched on google and came up with some such problems with solutions. To be honest, there are still points that I don't understand well. I think if such a problem is given, I have to follow a path like this:

Assume that I want to find all elements of order m in Sn.

1. First of all, I have to list the ways that I can decompose an element of order m into disjoint cycles. I know that for two disjoint cycles of order s and t the order of their composition will be the least common multiple of s and t. So, the first natural question that arise is how I should know how many such decompositions are there and how I can list them without possible mistakes.

2. Then I must find the number of ways I can write an irreducible cycle of length t. For example if I want to count the number of ways we can form a 4-cycle as (a b c d) in S6 I should say that we have 6 choices for the first place, 5 choices left for the second place, and so on... and then we have to divide by 4 because we have considered (a b c d), (b c d a), (c d a b) and (d a b c) as different cycles.

3. Now I sum all the possibilities to get the final answer.

But I still don't get it. I mean if I remember it correctly there is no subgroup of order 6 in S4. Doesn't it mean that there can not exist an element of order 6 in S4 too? If yes, doesn't this contradict what I have said so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2
    I don't really get it:

Here you are talking about elements of order 4 in ##S_6##, and

Here you are talking about elements of order 6 in ##S_4##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook