How to find the number of elements with a particular order in a group?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the number of elements with a particular order in a group like Sn. This involves decomposing an element into disjoint cycles and finding the number of ways to write an irreducible cycle. However, there is confusion about the existence of elements with certain orders in certain groups.
math.geek
I'm preparing for an upcoming exam, and as I see one of the typical questions that is frequently asked in our exams is about finding the number of elements that have a particular order in a group like Sn.

I searched on google and came up with some such problems with solutions. To be honest, there are still points that I don't understand well. I think if such a problem is given, I have to follow a path like this:

Assume that I want to find all elements of order m in Sn.

1. First of all, I have to list the ways that I can decompose an element of order m into disjoint cycles. I know that for two disjoint cycles of order s and t the order of their composition will be the least common multiple of s and t. So, the first natural question that arise is how I should know how many such decompositions are there and how I can list them without possible mistakes.

2. Then I must find the number of ways I can write an irreducible cycle of length t. For example if I want to count the number of ways we can form a 4-cycle as (a b c d) in S6 I should say that we have 6 choices for the first place, 5 choices left for the second place, and so on... and then we have to divide by 4 because we have considered (a b c d), (b c d a), (c d a b) and (d a b c) as different cycles.

3. Now I sum all the possibilities to get the final answer.

But I still don't get it. I mean if I remember it correctly there is no subgroup of order 6 in S4. Doesn't it mean that there can not exist an element of order 6 in S4 too? If yes, doesn't this contradict what I have said so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really get it:

math.geek said:
I'm preparing for an upcoming exam, and as I see one of the typical questions that is frequently asked in our exams is about finding the number of elements that have a particular order in a group like Sn.

I searched on google and came up with some such problems with solutions. To be honest, there are still points that I don't understand well. I think if such a problem is given, I have to follow a path like this:

Assume that I want to find all elements of order m in Sn.

1. First of all, I have to list the ways that I can decompose an element of order m into disjoint cycles. I know that for two disjoint cycles of order s and t the order of their composition will be the least common multiple of s and t. So, the first natural question that arise is how I should know how many such decompositions are there and how I can list them without possible mistakes.

2. Then I must find the number of ways I can write an irreducible cycle of length t. For example if I want to count the number of ways we can form a 4-cycle as (a b c d) in S6 I should say that we have 6 choices for the first place, 5 choices left for the second place, and so on... and then we have to divide by 4 because we have considered (a b c d), (b c d a), (c d a b) and (d a b c) as different cycles.

3. Now I sum all the possibilities to get the final answer.

Here you are talking about elements of order 4 in ##S_6##, and

But I still don't get it. I mean if I remember it correctly there is no subgroup of order 6 in S4. Doesn't it mean that there can not exist an element of order 6 in S4 too? If yes, doesn't this contradict what I have said so far?

Here you are talking about elements of order 6 in ##S_4##.

1. How do I determine the order of a group?

The order of a group is the number of elements it contains. To determine the order of a group, count the number of elements in the group.

2. What does the order of a group tell us?

The order of a group tells us the number of elements in the group, which can help us understand the structure and properties of the group.

3. How do I find the number of elements with a particular order in a group?

To find the number of elements with a particular order in a group, you can use the formula n!/r!(n-r)!, where n is the order of the group and r is the desired order of the elements.

4. Can a group have multiple elements with the same order?

Yes, a group can have multiple elements with the same order. This is because the order of an element in a group is determined by the number of times it must be multiplied by itself to equal the identity element.

5. How does the order of a group relate to its subgroups?

The order of a group is related to its subgroups by Lagrange's Theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group. This means that the order of the subgroups will be a factor of the order of the group.