How to Find the Resultant Vector of this Quadrilateral ?

In summary, the resultant of a quadrilateral is the line joining the initial point and the final point.
This question is from a "Solved Problems" book where they give the solutions but I'm not able to get the reason !

Question :

ABCD is a quadrilateral.Force BA,BC,CD and DA act at a point.Their resultant is :

f0n59e.jpg

Options:

a. 2AB
b. 2DA
c. 2BC
d. 2BA

The given answer is : 2BA

Formulas Related

Polygonal Laws of vector which states that the resultant will be the Line joining the Initial point and the final point !

My Attempt:

How is this possible.I'm not able to understand how we should find the resultant of the Quadrilateral because AB is not joining "Head to Tail" and "Tail to Head" instead it is joining from "Tail to Tail" and "Head to Head" ! So how do i solve this please give a proper explanation for this !

What i think is that only "AB" is the answer because When we join the initial point "B" with the final point "D" we should get the resultant ! So how do we do this ?

Please help me Understand this ! Am i mixing up the concepts or what ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As the vectors AB, BC, CD, DA form a quadrilateral, their resultant is zero. AB + BC + CD + DA = 0. The vectors AB and BA are opposite: AB =-BA, so BA = BC + CD + DA.

You have to determine the resultant force Fr= BA + BC + CD + DA. The last three add up to BA.

ehild

ehild said:
As the vectors AB, BC, CD, DA form a quadrilateral, their resultant is zero. AB + BC + CD + DA = 0. The vectors AB and BA are opposite: AB =-BA, so BA = BC + CD + DA.

You have to determine the resultant force Fr= BA + BC + CD + DA. The last three add up to BA.

ehild

But how can you take that AB+BC+CD+DA = 0 Because AB is an exception it is not Joining "Head to Tail" and "Tail to Head" instead it is joining "Tail to Tail" and "Head to "Head".So how can we tell that

Only when AB is joined "Head to Tail" and "Tail to Head" only then we can tell the resultant is 0 !

And how can you add them up to find the resultant force..We need to find the resultant vector only that will be the resultant force right ?

Please explain about my question !

Bump.......

Hi 5416339! :smile:

Suppose the arrow on AB was reversed, what would be resultant be then?

Now what's the difference between the forces given, and the forces with the arrow on AB reversed? :wink:

I explained your question in the previous post. I thought you know how to add vectors with the polygon method. Well, again: The first letter means tail, the second letter is the head of a vector. See your picture: The vector BA (head at A and tail at B) is the vector sum of BC+CD+CA=BA. So BA+BC+CD+DA= BA+(BC+CD+DA) = BA +BA=2BA

By the way, if you consider the sides of a polygon as vectors, all joining with head to tail, then the sum of this vectors is zero. If you reverse the direction of the vector BA (it becomes AB, and AB=-BA) all vectors will join with head to tail and their sum is zero, as it is a closed polygon: AB+BC+CD+DA=0 --->-AB = BA = BC+CD+DA.

ehild

1. What is the definition of a resultant vector in a quadrilateral?

A resultant vector in a quadrilateral is the single vector that represents the combined effect of all the individual vectors in the quadrilateral. It is the vector that would have the same effect as the original vectors when they act together.

2. How do you find the resultant vector of a quadrilateral using graphical methods?

To find the resultant vector of a quadrilateral using graphical methods, you can use the parallelogram method or the triangle method. The parallelogram method involves drawing the vectors as sides of a parallelogram and then drawing the diagonal of the parallelogram to find the resultant vector. The triangle method involves drawing the vectors as sides of a triangle and then finding the length and direction of the resultant vector using trigonometric functions.

3. Can the resultant vector of a quadrilateral be found using mathematical equations?

Yes, the resultant vector of a quadrilateral can also be found using mathematical equations. This method involves breaking down the vectors into their horizontal and vertical components and then using vector addition to find the resultant vector. This method is more precise and efficient when dealing with large numbers of vectors.

4. What is the importance of finding the resultant vector of a quadrilateral?

Finding the resultant vector of a quadrilateral is important because it allows us to understand and predict the overall effect of multiple vectors acting on an object. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where understanding the combined effect of forces is crucial to solving problems and making calculations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the resultant vector of a quadrilateral?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the resultant vector of a quadrilateral. For example, in engineering, it is used to determine the net force acting on a structure or object. In navigation, it is used to calculate the resultant velocity and direction of a moving object. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the overall force and direction of a player's movements in a game.