How does this solution make any sense? (Tension problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using the equilibrant/resultant method and the confusion around representing F1 in a triangle. The expert clarifies that the length of the rope does not determine the length of the force vector and only indicates the direction of the forces. This explanation resolves the confusion.
Unqualifiedlol
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
o4m6r6u.png

I know how to solve this problem with x and y components but how do I solve it with the equilibrant/resultant method? I don't understand how you can make a triangle with both F1 and F2 when in the diagram it looks like the magnitude F1 is only partially represented? Why are we just ignoring the rest of the vector? The answer is right of course but I just don't get it

Attachments

• o4m6r6u.png
    o4m6r6u.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 986
Physics news on Phys.org
Unqualifiedlol said:
it looks like the magnitude F1 is only partially represented?
It looks fully represented to me. Can you explain your issue a bit more?

haruspex said:
It looks fully represented to me. Can you explain your issue a bit more?
Well, because F1 is the tension of the left rope right? In the triangle, it seems like only a section of the "rope" is included in the triangle, while the rest is excluded. Why is that?

Unqualifiedlol said:
Well, because F1 is the tension of the left rope right? In the triangle, it seems like only a section of the "rope" is included in the triangle, while the rest is excluded. Why is that?
You appear to be confusing length of rope with length of force vector. The geometry of the rope only tells you the directions of the forces.

Likes Unqualifiedlol
haruspex said:
You appear to be confusing length of rope with length of force vector. The geometry of the rope only tells you the directions of the forces.
Thank you so much, that cleared it all up haha.

Related to How does this solution make any sense? (Tension problem)

1. How does this solution address the tension problem?

The solution works by identifying the root cause of the tension and finding a way to alleviate it. This could involve implementing new protocols, improving communication techniques, or addressing underlying issues within the team.

2. What evidence is there to support the effectiveness of this solution?

The solution is typically based on research and data analysis, as well as input from those experiencing the tension. It may also involve pilot testing and regular evaluations to track progress and make adjustments as needed.

3. Will this solution be a quick fix or a long-term solution?

The duration of the solution's effectiveness will vary depending on the specific tension problem and its underlying causes. Some solutions may provide immediate relief, while others may require ongoing efforts to maintain a positive and productive work environment.

4. How does this solution take into account individual differences and perspectives?

Effective solutions for tension problems often involve open communication and understanding of different perspectives. This could include implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives and creating a safe space for individuals to share their thoughts and concerns.

5. How can I ensure that this solution will be sustainable in the long run?

The success of the solution relies on the commitment and effort from all individuals involved. This may involve regular check-ins, training and development opportunities, and a willingness to address any new tension that may arise in the future.