How to find the thermal compressibility of a gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
PKM
Messages
49
Reaction score
16

Homework Statement

:
[/B]
A gas obeying the equation of state [itex]PV=RT[/itex] undergoes a hypothetical reversible process [tex] PV^\frac{5}{3} e^\frac{-PV}{E_0} = c_1[/tex] Can we prove that the thermal compressibility of the gas undergoing this process tends to a [itex]constant[/itex] value at very high temperature? Here, [itex]E_0[/itex] and [itex]c_1[/itex] are constants with dimensions.

Homework Equations


The thermal compressibility of a gas is given as [tex]\kappa = \frac{-1}{V} \frac{\delta V}{\delta P}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


First I tried to find the thermal compressibility using the above differential equation, considering the reversible process given. I made use of the equation of state [itex]PV = RT[/itex], to substitute [itex]RT[/itex] for [itex]PV[/itex]. My result contains a term P, which cannot be cancelled, or substituted to yield a constant value, at very high temperatures.
Any solution, or comment?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
What did you get for ##\kappa##? I'll tell you if I confirm.
I proceeded in two ways:
First, in the equation [itex] PV^\frac{5}{3} e^\frac{-PV}{E_0} = c_1[/itex], I put [itex]PV=RT[/itex]. Then partially differentiated it w.r.t. [itex]P[/itex]. It yields [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3] {V}}\frac{dV}{dP} = const[/tex]
Secondly, I differentiated the equation
[itex] PV^\frac{5}{3} e^\frac{-PV}{E_0} = c_1[/itex] w.r.t. [itex]P[/itex]. The result appears to be [tex]-\frac{1}{V}\frac{\delta V}{\delta P} = \kappa = \frac{1-E_0}{P}+\frac{5}{3V}[/tex]
Maybe somewhere I've gone wrong (it would be much kind of you if you point it out); but if my calculations are correct, how may I proceed?
 
PKM said:
I proceeded in two ways:
First, in the equation [itex] PV^\frac{5}{3} e^\frac{-PV}{E_0} = c_1[/itex], I put [itex]PV=RT[/itex]. Then partially differentiated it w.r.t. [itex]P[/itex]. It yields [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3] {V}}\frac{dV}{dP} = const[/tex]
Secondly, I differentiated the equation
[itex] PV^\frac{5}{3} e^\frac{-PV}{E_0} = c_1[/itex] w.r.t. [itex]P[/itex]. The result appears to be [tex]-\frac{1}{V}\frac{\delta V}{\delta P} = \kappa = \frac{1-E_0}{P}+\frac{5}{3V}[/tex]
Maybe somewhere I've gone wrong (it would be much kind of you if you point it out); but if my calculations are correct, how may I proceed?
I get $$\kappa=\frac{1}{P}\frac{\left(\frac{PV}{E_0}-1\right)}{\left(\frac{PV}{E_0}-\frac{5}{3}\right)}$$At high temperatures, this approaches ##\kappa=1/P##.