1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the unknown mass of an object in a 2d collision?

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have two pucks colliding. PUck 1 has a mass of .545 kg. Puck two has the same puck mass, but also has a weight added onto it. I need to find the mass of puck two.

Velocity before and after for puck 1:
    V1i = 2.0m/s[19°Below the Horizontal]
    V1f = 3.0m/s[31°Above the Horizontal]

Velocity before and after for puck 2:
    V2i = 4.33m/s[19°Above the Horizontal]
    V2f = 3.36m/s[16°Below the Horizontal]

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum:

[itex]\vec{Pi}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{Pf}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

m1[itex]\vec{vi}[/itex] + m2[itex]\vec{vi}[/itex] = m1[itex]\vec{vf}[/itex] + m2[itex]\vec{vf}[/itex]

m1[itex]\vec{vf}[/itex] - m1[itex]\vec{vi}[/itex] = m2[itex]\vec{vf}[/itex] - m2[itex]\vec{vi}[/itex]

m2/m1 = (v1f - v1i)/(v2f-v1i)

Now, I am supposed to draw vector diagrams for this but after that I get stuck. What do I do once I have drawn the vector diagrams for (v1f - v1i) and (v2f-v2i) ? I dont need someone to give me a full solution or anything, I just need some help to continue on the right track. I really appreciate any help!

Here is what I am getting by the vector diagrams by the way:
    (v1f - v1i) = 2.3m/s [83° Above the horizontal]
    (v1f - v1i) = -2.5m/s [78° Belowthe horizontal]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. One would expect momentum to be conserved in the collision. In fact, momentum in the x-direction and momentum in the y-direction should be conserved independently. Since you have the vectors for both objects before and after collision, you can write the momentum equations for both components.

When I do so and solve for the mass of the second puck I get different results for that mass from the x and y component equations. Furthermore, both results are LESS than the mass of the puck 1.

I would expect some variation due to experimental error, but the results seem to be a bit wonky even so. Can you check your data to make sure that you transcribed it correctly?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook