Solve 2D Elastic Collision Homework Statement

In summary: It should be relatively easy to do once you know the relationship.In summary, the less massive object has a speed of v0 = (2/3) v1 and travels at an angle of θ1 after collision. The more massive object has a speed of v2 = (3/2) v1 and travels at an angle of θ2 after collision.
Taylor T

Homework Statement

Problem: An object of mass m1 elastically collides with an object of mass m2 =(3/2) m1 that is initially at rest. The less massive object has speed v1 and travels at an angle of θ1with its original direction (x-axis) after collision; the more massive object has a speed of v2 = (2/3) v1 and travels at an angle of θ2 after collision. What are the initial speed v0 of the less massive object and the two scattering angles, θ1 and θ2?

known values ( symbolically at least)
m1
m2 = 1.5 m1
v1f
v2f = 2/3 v1f

Finding:
v0
θ1
θ2

Homework Equations

Momentum Equations:[/B]
Pi=Pf
KEi=KEf
Before:
Px: m1*v0
Py: 0
E: 1/2 m1*v0^2
After:
Px: m1*v1f*cos(θ1)+3/2 m1 * 2/3 v1f cos(θ2)
Py: m1*v1f*sin(θ1)-3/2 m1 * 2/3 v1f sin(θ2)
KE: 1/2 m1* v1f^2+1/2 3/2 m1 (2/3v1f)^2

Combined:
(1)KE: v0^2=5/3 v1f^2
(2)Px: m1v0 = m1*v1f cos(θ1) + m1*v1f cos(θ2)
(3)Py: m1*v1f sin(θ1) = m1*v1f sin(θ2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Equation (3)simplifies to sin(θ1)=sin(θ2)
(4) θ1=θ2
plugging (3) into (2)
(5) v0 = 2*v1f cos(θ1)
plugging 5 into 1
(2 v1f cos(θ1) ) ^2 = 5/3 v1f^2
solving for θ1 you get θ1=arccos( sqrt(15) / 6 ) which means θ2=arccos( sqrt(15)/6) as wellFrom here I am stuck trying to solve for v0. I am also unsure if my value for θ is correct.Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As the collision is elastic
Did you use the fact
That the total kinetic energy before the collision equals the total kinetic energy after the collision?

Use this

UchihaClan13

My bad. I forgot to label this fact carefully in the givens the Ei=Ef was non specific energy but it was intended to be kinetic energy. But yes I did take this into account

I agree with your solution for the angle (though I would have expressed it as arccos(√(5/12))).
Since you are given no numeric values for speeds, it is only possible to find v0 in terms of v1. Does that help?

That does definitely help knowing I got the angles correct. Is it still not possible to find the original velocities even though we know the relationships between the masses and their final velocities?

Taylor T said:
That does definitely help knowing I got the angles correct. Is it still not possible to find the original velocities even though we know the relationships between the masses and their final velocities?
Are you familiar with dimensional analysis? None of the numerical data you are given has an associated dimension, so it is not possible to come up with a numerical answer for a dimensioned quantity. Even knowing masses would not help. You would need to know at least one quantity involving distance and at least one involving time.
Just go ahead and find v0 in terms of v1.

1. What is a 2D elastic collision?

A 2D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy are satisfied. This means that after the collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system remain the same.

2. What is the difference between a 2D elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In a 2D elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only the momentum is conserved. This means that in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound.

3. How do you calculate the velocities of two objects after a 2D elastic collision?

The velocities of the two objects after a 2D elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects.

4. Can a 2D elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, a 2D elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. The conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations take into account the masses of the objects to determine the final velocities.

5. Are there any real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions, such as billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two air molecules colliding in the atmosphere, and two atoms colliding in a nuclear reactor.