• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to find the volume of a block that weighs 107 newtons.

Just a problem for my physics homework and just wondering how to solve this problem.

Answers and Replies

In order to find this, you need to know the density of the material.

Yeah I just figured out how to do it but now im wondering if i got the right answer. the problem was what is the volume of a block of silver that weighs 107 newtons with the block of silvers density being 10,500 kg. the answer I got for this problem is.001 m^3 but idk if its right XD

berkeman
Mentor
Yeah I just figured out how to do it but now im wondering if i got the right answer. the problem was what is the volume of a block of silver that weighs 107 newtons with the block of silvers density being 10,500 kg. the answer I got for this problem is.001 m^3 but idk if its right XD
Welcome to the PF.

Remember that the density has units of mass per volume. Can you fix up the units and show us your work? That will make it easier for us to check your work.

Welcome to the PF.

Remember that the density has units of mass per volume. Can you fix up the units and show us your work? That will make it easier for us to check your work.
Well, the exact question is A block of silver weighs 107 newtons. What is the volume of the block? so I started by dividing the 107 by 9.81 to find the weight in kg and got 10.7. The density was given in a table and the density of silver is 10500 kg so i did 10.9/10500 and got .001 m^3 as my final answer.

Well, the exact question is A block of silver weighs 107 newtons. What is the volume of the block? so I started by dividing the 107 by 9.81 to find the weight in kg and got 10.7. The density was given in a table and the density of silver is 10500 kg so i did 10.9/10500 and got .001 m^3 as my final answer.
kg is a unit of mass, not density. Density has units of mass/volume, so the units for your density should be kg/(something). If you work out the units in your calculation, the answer doesn't work out to be in units of m^3, your answer is actually unitless.