How to find the volume of a block that weighs 107 Newtons.

In summary, the conversation was about a physics problem involving finding the volume of a block of silver given its weight and density. The person had initially found an answer of .001 m^3 but was unsure if it was correct. It was suggested to check the units and show the work in order to verify the answer.
FoliagedPegas
Just a problem for my physics homework and just wondering how to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to find this, you need to know the density of the material.

Yeah I just figured out how to do it but now I am wondering if i got the right answer. the problem was what is the volume of a block of silver that weighs 107 Newtons with the block of silvers density being 10,500 kg. the answer I got for this problem is.001 m^3 but idk if its right XD

FoliagedPegas said:
Yeah I just figured out how to do it but now I am wondering if i got the right answer. the problem was what is the volume of a block of silver that weighs 107 Newtons with the block of silvers density being 10,500 kg. the answer I got for this problem is.001 m^3 but idk if its right XD

Welcome to the PF.

Remember that the density has units of mass per volume. Can you fix up the units and show us your work? That will make it easier for us to check your work.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Remember that the density has units of mass per volume. Can you fix up the units and show us your work? That will make it easier for us to check your work.

Well, the exact question is A block of silver weighs 107 Newtons. What is the volume of the block? so I started by dividing the 107 by 9.81 to find the weight in kg and got 10.7. The density was given in a table and the density of silver is 10500 kg so i did 10.9/10500 and got .001 m^3 as my final answer.

FoliagedPegas said:
Well, the exact question is A block of silver weighs 107 Newtons. What is the volume of the block? so I started by dividing the 107 by 9.81 to find the weight in kg and got 10.7. The density was given in a table and the density of silver is 10500 kg so i did 10.9/10500 and got .001 m^3 as my final answer.

kg is a unit of mass, not density. Density has units of mass/volume, so the units for your density should be kg/(something). If you work out the units in your calculation, the answer doesn't work out to be in units of m^3, your answer is actually unitless.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a block that weighs 107 Newtons?

The volume of a block can be calculated by dividing its weight (in Newtons) by its density (in kilograms per cubic meter). For a block weighing 107 Newtons, you would need to know its density in order to calculate its volume.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a block?

The formula for finding the volume of a block is V = m/d, where V is the volume, m is the mass of the block, and d is the density of the block.

3. How do you measure the density of a block?

The density of a block can be measured by dividing its mass (in kilograms) by its volume (in cubic meters). The mass can be measured using a scale, while the volume can be calculated or measured using a ruler or other measuring tool.

4. Can the volume of a block change if its weight remains the same?

Yes, the volume of a block can change based on its shape or density. For example, a block made of a less dense material may have a larger volume than a block made of a more dense material, even if they both weigh the same amount.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the volume of a block besides using its weight and density?

Yes, the volume of a block can also be found by measuring its dimensions and using the formula V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the block. This method is commonly used for regular-shaped blocks, such as cubes or rectangular prisms.