1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the volume of a block that weighs 107 newtons.

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    Just a problem for my physics homework and just wondering how to solve this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2
    In order to find this, you need to know the density of the material.

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    Yeah I just figured out how to do it but now im wondering if i got the right answer. the problem was what is the volume of a block of silver that weighs 107 newtons with the block of silvers density being 10,500 kg. the answer I got for this problem is.001 m^3 but idk if its right XD

5. Sep 11, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Remember that the density has units of mass per volume. Can you fix up the units and show us your work? That will make it easier for us to check your work.

6. Sep 11, 2012 #5
    Well, the exact question is A block of silver weighs 107 newtons. What is the volume of the block? so I started by dividing the 107 by 9.81 to find the weight in kg and got 10.7. The density was given in a table and the density of silver is 10500 kg so i did 10.9/10500 and got .001 m^3 as my final answer.

7. Sep 11, 2012 #6
    kg is a unit of mass, not density. Density has units of mass/volume, so the units for your density should be kg/(something). If you work out the units in your calculation, the answer doesn't work out to be in units of m^3, your answer is actually unitless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook