How to find the x,y elements of a 3D vector when origin, direction, z are known

In summary, you need to solve for the final point in 3D space at an arbitrary Z coordinate, -512, using the formula for a 3D line. This is simple to do when you use the formula for a 3D line.
dsoltyka
I believe this is the correct place to post this as I believe I'm going to need to solve this as a linear system, however I suppose it might be solvable using trig as well. However, I've been at it for a while and I'm out of ideas and I think I'm missing something silly.

Consider the following:

Origin = (-1.1258, 100.8336, 2489.9998)
Direction = (-0.1115, 0.0826, -0.9903)

I need to use that information to find a final point in 3D space at an arbitrary Z coordinate, -512. That final point must lie on a line parallel to a line drawn from the origin in the given direction

I had originally tried to treat it like a right triangle and solving for the hypotenuse length, and multiplying that by my direction to get the final location vector, however either that won't work or I did it wrong.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I was in fact over thinking the solution. It was simple to solve when I used the formula for a 3D line.

Let p denote the vector you call "origin", and let q denote the vector you call "direction". Let r denote your "final point" whose z-coordinate is -512. Then there's a number [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that

[tex]\mathbf{p}+\lambda \mathbf{q}=\mathbf{r},[/tex]

or expressed as matrices,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}p_1\\ p_2\\ p_3\end{bmatrix}+ \lambda \begin{bmatrix}q_1\\ q_2\\ q_3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}r_1\\ r_2\\ r_3\end{bmatrix}.[/tex]

Addition works componentwise, so we have

[tex]p_3 + \lambda q_3 = -512.[/tex]

Just substitute the numerical values of the third components of p and q, and solve for [itex]\lambda[/itex].

(EDIT: Oh, I see you got there already!)

Rasalhague said:
Let p denote the vector you call "origin", and let q denote the vector you call "direction". Let r denote your "final point" whose z-coordinate is -512. Then there's a number [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that

[tex]\mathbf{p}+\lambda \mathbf{q}=\mathbf{r},[/tex]

or expressed as matrices,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}p_1\\ p_2\\ p_3\end{bmatrix}+ \lambda \begin{bmatrix}q_1\\ q_2\\ q_3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}r_1\\ r_2\\ r_3\end{bmatrix}.[/tex]

Addition works componentwise, so we have

[tex]p_3 + \lambda q_3 = -512.[/tex]

Just substitute the numerical values of the third components of p and q, and solve for [itex]\lambda[/itex].

(EDIT: Oh, I see you got there already!)

I did, but the elegance of your explanation would have made it simpler for sure. Thank you :)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of a 3D vector. A 3D vector is a mathematical representation of a point in 3D space, consisting of three components (x, y, z) that represent the coordinates of the point. In this case, the origin and direction given are also represented as 3D vectors.

To find the final point at an arbitrary z coordinate, we can use the concept of vector addition. We know that the final point must lie on a line parallel to the given direction vector, so we can add the z component of the origin vector to the z component of the direction vector to get the final z coordinate. In this case, it would be 2489.9998 + (-512) = 1977.9998.

Next, we can use the concept of scalar multiplication to find the x and y components of the final point. Since we know the direction vector, we can multiply it by a scalar value to get a new vector that has the same direction but a different magnitude. This scalar value can be calculated by dividing the z component of the final point by the z component of the direction vector. In this case, it would be 1977.9998 / (-0.9903) = -1995.882.

Finally, we can use the x and y components calculated to find the final point by adding them to the x and y components of the origin vector. This would give us a final point of (-1.1258 + (-1995.882 * (-0.1115)), 100.8336 + (-1995.882 * 0.0826), 1977.9998) = (-221.3116, -156.5928, 1977.9998).

In summary, to find the x and y elements of a 3D vector when the origin, direction, and z coordinate are known, we can use the concepts of vector addition and scalar multiplication. This approach is based on the idea that the direction vector remains constant and can be scaled to find the final point at an arbitrary z coordinate. I hope this helps in solving the problem.

1. How do I determine the x and y elements of a 3D vector when the origin, direction, and z are known?

To find the x and y elements of a 3D vector, you can use the dot product and cross product formulas. The dot product will give you the magnitude of the vector, while the cross product will give you a vector perpendicular to both the direction and z vectors. By using the dot product and cross product together, you can determine the x and y elements of the vector.

2. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the x and y elements of a 3D vector?

No, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles and cannot be used to find the x and y elements of a 3D vector. Instead, you should use the dot product and cross product formulas.

3. Do I need to know the magnitude of the vector to find the x and y elements?

No, the magnitude of the vector is not necessary to find the x and y elements. However, it can be helpful in determining the direction of the vector.

4. What if the z component is zero?

If the z component is zero, it means the vector is parallel to the xy-plane and has no z component. In this case, the x and y elements can be determined by using the magnitude of the vector and the direction vector.

5. Can I use trigonometry to find the x and y elements of a 3D vector?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the x and y elements of a 3D vector by using the direction vector and the angle between the vector and the x-axis. However, the dot product and cross product formulas are more efficient and accurate methods.