• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to find the y-component of Vi based on a Vy/t graph

Homework Statement

These are the experimental results we got from the ticker tape lab we did in projectile motion. How exactly do I find Vy? My graph looks weird. I'm assuming Vy initial must be exactly the first velocity on the table.
upload_2018-10-12_0-24-32.png
upload_2018-10-12_0-24-52.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Please describe the experimental set up and procedure in as much detail as you can. A diagram may help.

This came from some sort of ticker tape lab, only it’s applied for projectile motion. The papers with the ticker dots were already prepared so we didn’t actually did that experiment. We measured the x and y distance for each dots, then solved for the instantaneous velocity for each time. The images I attached is the table of Vy to its corresponding time, and a graph of Vy/t

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This came from some sort of ticker tape lab, only it’s applied for projectile motion. The papers with the ticker dots were already prepared so we didn’t actually did that experiment. We measured the x and y distance for each dots, then solved for the instantaneous velocity for each time. The images I attached is the table of Vy to its corresponding time, and a graph of Vy/t
Then please post your original data (x, y, t triples, right?), and in a form that readers can cut and paste into a spreadsheet.

You could do regression analysis to calculate gradient and y-intercept if that's any help ? Possibly leaving out the first two points which don't seem to be part of the 'free fall' data set. Enter t as the x-values and v as the y-values if you want your gradient to show acceleration.