Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find this Laurent series?

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    I understand perfectly well how to do Taylor series, but I am foggy on these Laurent series. Say, we have something like,

[tex]f\left( z \right)\; =\; \frac{1}{z^{2}\cdot \sin \left( z \right)}[/tex]

I think I need to use the taylor series expressions for sin(z) but otherwise, I am not sure what to do about that z^2. If I use that in a taylor series with z=0, then I get a singularity.

Since its 1/sin(z), do I just inverse the taylor series for sin(z) Yes, you can see I am very unknowledgeable about this. I turn here because the explanations I found in my book are totally lacking.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2
    It's clear that z=0 is a pole for your function, thats why the Taylor series is not well defined there. The Laurent series will tell you how this singularity behaves (how it grows to infinity).

A Laurent series has the form

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{b_n}{z^n}+\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nz^n,[/tex]

so you are right, in order to calculate the series, you just have write down the series for [itex]\csc z[/itex] and multiply it by [itex]z^{-2}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?