1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Find Velocity With Non-Constant Acceleration

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone. I don't want someone to do the question so I won't include my actual homework question, but I would really appreciate if someone would tell me how to find velocity after a time t if your acceleration is non-constant and time dependent.

For example, if your acceleration was a = 4.0t and you want to find velocity after 3.0 seconds, how would you do that? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Have you learnt calculus yet? You need to integrate the acceleration with respect to time, while setting the lower bound to 0 (seconds) and the upper bound to 3 (seconds), i.e.

[tex]v(3) = \int_0^3 a(t) dt = \int_0^3 4t dt [/tex]

Here, v(t) refers to velocity as a function of time, so v(3) is velocity at time 3 seconds. a(t) is acceleration as a function of time.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the answer! I know indefinite integrals but not definite so could you please explain how you solve your example? (:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook