How to Fly a B-26: Official Training Film

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Videos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
How to fly a B-26 - an official training film.



Just in case you're ever trapped on a desert island with no means of escape except a B-26...
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: apostolosdt, mcastillo356 and DaveE
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
How to fly a B-26 - an official training film.



Just in case you're ever trapped on a desert island with no means of escape except a B-26...

I'm pretty sure I'd die on, or very near, that island.

Anyway, I thought the primitive radio procedures were striking. No read backs, it's all "Wilco" & "Roger". Is that how they really did it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
DaveE said:
No read backs, it's all "Wilco" & "Roger". Is that how they really did it?
I think the read backs came after lots of crashes into control towers and other stuff... o0)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and DaveE
berkeman said:
I think the read backs came after lots of crashes into control towers and other stuff... o0)
Although, as a HAM radio operator serving my local fire department in disaster training, I was chided a bit by a FF (who later became chief) who was in the Special Forces at the tip of several spears. He kept reminding me and the other HAM operators that the longer you talk on the radio, the easier it is for the enemy to figure out your position. So in wartime (or military training), the radio calls and responses tend to be very short.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and DaveE
berkeman said:
Although, as a HAM radio operator serving my local fire department in disaster training, I was chided a bit by a FF (who later became Chief) who was in the Special Forces at the tip of several spears. He kept reminding me and the other HAM operators that the longer you talk on the radio, the easier it is for the enemy to figure out your position. So in wartime (or military training), the radio calls and responses tend to be very short.
Yea, you don't want to be drawling on and on with those landing clearances like they do at LAX or JFK :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking said:
How to fly a B-26 - an official training film.
As one of the comments says, I reckon the war was over before they got through that pre-flight checklist...
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking, DaveE and BillTre
How to dispose of metallic sodium

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveE