1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Fourier-transform e^(-2|t|)?

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Fourier-transfroms of the functions

\begin{equation*}
    a) f : f(t) = H(t+3) - H(t-3) \text{ and } g : g(t) = \cos(5t) f(t)
    \end{equation*}
    and
    \begin{equation*}
    b) f : f(t) = e^{-2|t|} \text{ and } g : g(t) = \cos(3t) f(t)
    \end{equation*}

2. Relevant equations
    The Fourier transformation definition:
    \begin{equation}
    \digamma\{ f(t) \}(\omega) = F(\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(u)e^{-j\omega u}\,du
    \end{equation}
    What to do with cosines:
    \begin{equation}

\digamma\{f(t)\cos(\alpha t)\}(\omega) = \frac{1}{2} F(\omega - \alpha) + \frac{1}{2}F(\omega + \alpha)

\end{equation}

3. The attempt at a solution
    I managed part a) somewhat:
    \begin{align*}
    \digamma\{ f(t) \}(\omega) &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( H(t+3) - H(t-3) \right) e^{-j\omega u} \,du \\
    %
    &= \int_{-3}^{3} e^{-j\omega u} \,du = \left[ \frac{e^{-j\omega u}}{-j\omega}\right]_{-3}^{3}
    = \left( \frac{e^{-j3\omega }}{-j\omega} - \frac{e^{j3\omega}}{-j\omega} \right)\\
    %
    &= \left( \frac{ e^{j3\omega}}{j\omega} - \frac{e^{-j3\omega }}{j\omega} \right) = \frac{1}{2j\omega}(e^{j3\omega } - e^{-j3\omega })\\
    %
    &= \frac{\sin(3\omega)}{\omega} = 3 sinc(3\omega)
    \end{align*}
    Sinc is continuous at ##\omega = 0##, so we don't need to handle that case separately.
    Then, using equation (2) I wrote
    \begin{align*}
    \digamma\{ f(t) \cos(5t) \}(\omega) &= \frac{3}{2} sinc(3(\omega-5)) + \frac{3}{2} sinc(3(\omega+5))
    \end{align*}

Part b) has me completely stumped. Since
    \begin{equation}
    |u|=
    \begin{cases}
    u &, u\geq 0\\
    -u &, u < 0,
    \end{cases}
    \end{equation}
    we write, according to equation (1):
    \begin{align*}
    \digamma\{ f(t) \}(\omega) &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2|u|} e^{-j\omega u} \,du = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2|u|-j\omega u} e^{} \,du\\
    %
    &= \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{2u-j\omega u} \,du + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2u-j\omega u} \,du\\
    %
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \int_{-a}^{0} e^{(2-j\omega) u} \,du + \int_{0}^{a} e^{-(2+j\omega) u} \,du\\

%

&= \lim_{a \to \infty} \sij{-a}{0} \frac{e^{(2-j\omega) u}}{(2-j\omega)} + \sij{0}{a} \frac{e^{-(2+j\omega)u}}{-(2+j\omega)}\\

%

&= \lim_{a \to \infty} \left( \frac{e^0}{(2-j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2-j\omega)} \right)

+ \left( \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{-(2+j\omega)} - \frac{e^0}{-(2+j\omega)} \right)\\

%

&= \lim_{a \to \infty} \left( \frac{1}{(2-j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2-j\omega)} \right)

+ \left( \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{-(2+j\omega)} + \frac{1}{(2+j\omega)} \right) \\

%

&= \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{1}{(2-j\omega)} + \frac{1}{(2+j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{(2+j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2-j\omega)}\\

%

&= \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{(2+j\omega)}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)} + \frac{(2-j\omega)}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}\\

&- \frac{(2-j\omega)e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)} - \frac{(2+j\omega)e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}\\
    \end{align*}

This isn't looking good. Is there a trick that I'm missing? Help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you write ##\cos(3t)## in terms of ##e^{\pm 3 j t}## you have
    $$\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-j w t} e^{\pm 3 j t} e^{2t} \, dt = \frac{1}{2 - j w \pm 3 j} \left. e^{-j w t} e^{\pm 3 j t} e^{2t}\right|_{-\infty}^0,$$
    which is convergent because of the exponential damping factor ##e^{2t}## when ##t \to -\infty##. Similarly for the other part.

4. Feb 11, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the ##\left[\frac{etc.}{etc.}\right]_0^a## term you omitted the u from the exponent, but that's just a typo. What I do not get is what happened to that term in the next line. How did (2+jω) turn into (2-jω)? Maybe just another typo, rectified later, but this is making it hard to follow.

5. Feb 11, 2017 #4
    Yhea, I just noticed. Fixing.

6. Feb 11, 2017 #5
    Ok, so right now I have
    \begin{align*}
    \digamma\{f(t)\}(\omega) = \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{(2+j\omega)e^{a(2-j\omega) }}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}
    + \frac{(2-j\omega)e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}
    \end{align*}
    Not compeltely sure what to do here. I'm trying to edit my offline LaTeX document at the same time, so mistakes are bound to be made.

7. Feb 11, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You still have 2-jω in both exponents.

8. Feb 11, 2017 #7
    \begin{align*}
    \digamma\{f(t)\}(\omega) &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{(2+j\omega)e^{a(2-j\omega) }}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}
    + \frac{(2-j\omega)e^{-a(2+j\omega)}}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{(2+j\omega)e^{a(2-j\omega) } + (2-j\omega)e^{-a(2+j\omega)}}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}
    \end{align*}
    There. I think it might have been a bad idea to try and learn LaTeX proper by doing all of my coursework with it. Copy-paste can be treacherous.

9. Feb 11, 2017 #8
    It looks like I have a sum of complex conjugates in the numerator.

10. Feb 11, 2017 #9
    It's not the cosine, that scares me. What I'm ahving trouble with is ##f(t)##. I also made a few mistakes in the opening post because I'm copyin stuff from my offline LaTeX-document. They should be fixed now.

11. Feb 11, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, there's still a problem.
    Look at the last two lines of your original post. In the left hand integral, you had -a in the exponent, but it becomes +a.
    As Ray says, it should converge.
    I would not have introduced the lim operators, though I know that is technically correct. I would have just integrated still with infinities in the bounds, and used the fact that ex+iy tends to zero as x tends to minus infinity regardless of what y does.

12. Feb 11, 2017 #11
    Alright, let me go over it once more. This might take a moment.

13. Feb 11, 2017 #12
    I got it. Just a sec, and I'll clean up my derivation.

14. Feb 11, 2017 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your ##f(t) = e^{-2|t|}## is no problem; that is why you used ##e^{2t}## for ##t < 0## and ##e^{-2t}## for ##t >0##. You get two convergent integrals. It is even faster and easier to use standard expressions for ##\int e^{at} \cos(bt) \, dt##, then use ##b = 3## and
    $$ a = \begin{cases} -j\omega + 2, & t < 0\\
    -j \omega - 2,& t > 0
    \end{cases}
    $$

15. Feb 11, 2017 #14
    Alright, here's the complete derivation this time (hopefully) without errors:

\begin{align*}
    \digamma\{ f(t) \}(\omega) &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2|u|} e^{-j\omega u} \,du = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2|u|-j\omega u} \,du\\
    &= \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{2u-j\omega u} \,du + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2u-j\omega u} \,du\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \int_{-a}^{0} e^{(2-j\omega) u} \,du + \int_{0}^{a} e^{-(2+j\omega) u} \,du\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \left[ \frac{e^{(2-j\omega) u}}{(2-j\omega)}\right]_{-a}^{0} + \left[ \frac{e^{-(2+j\omega)u}}{-(2+j\omega)}\right]_{0}^{a}\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \left( \frac{e^0}{(2-j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2-j\omega)} \right)
    + \left( \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{-(2+j\omega)} - \frac{e^0}{-(2+j\omega)} \right)\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \left( \frac{1}{(2-j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega)}}{(2-j\omega)} \right)
    + \left( \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{-(2+j\omega)} + \frac{1}{(2+j\omega)} \right)\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{1}{(2-j\omega)} + \frac{1}{(2+j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}{(2+j\omega)} - \frac{e^{-a(2-j\omega)}{(2-j\omega)}\\
    &= \lim_{a \to \infty} \frac{(2+j\omega)}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)} + \frac{(2-j\omega)}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}\\
    &- \frac{(2-j\omega) \overbrace{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }}^{\text{Real coefficient goes to zero...}}}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}
    - \frac{(2+j\omega)\overbrace{e^{-a(2-j\omega) }^{\text{... specifically exp(-2a)}}}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)}\\
    &= \frac{(2-j\omega) + (2+j\omega)}{(2+j\omega)(2-j\omega)} = \frac{4}{4 + \omega^2}
    \end{align*}

Then, if we apply equation ##(2)## to the case where we multiply ##f(t)## by ##\cos(3t)##:
    \begin{align*}
    \digamma\{f(t)\cos(3t)\}(\omega) &= \frac{1}{2} \frac{4}{4 + \left( \omega -3 \right)^2} + \frac{1}{2} \frac{4}{4 + \left( \omega + 3 \right)^2}\\
    &= \frac{2}{4 + \left( \omega -3 \right)^2} + \frac{2}{4 + \left( \omega + 3 \right)^2}\\
    \end{align*}

16. Feb 11, 2017 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Answer is correct; derivation did not render properly.

17. Feb 11, 2017 #16
    There seems to be a math processing error preventing the rendering of the biggest part of this exercise. Looking at the source code, I can't spot the error on my part.

Regradless, if it doesn't decide to resolve itself, the correct answer was
    \begin{equation}
    \digamma\{ f(t) \} = \frac{4}{4 + \omega^2}
    \end{equation}

Thanks for the help, everyone.

18. Feb 11, 2017 #17
    Yeah, I'm wondering why that is. I tried to switch any dollar signs to double pound signs and such, but its still not rendering.

19. Feb 11, 2017 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Doesn't seem to like the text imbeds

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted