How to generalize a theorem to 3D

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem on transforms in Fourier and Hilbert spaces on R2, which sets bounds for norms of functions and transforms in the Hilbert scale. The problem is to generalize this theorem to prove a 3D result and the term "generalize" is defined as extending the theorem to less restrictive conditions. The speaker has the proofs for the 2D case and plans to use the same approach for the 3D case by plugging in n=3 in the proof.
balugaa

Homework Statement

So have this theorem defined for transforms on the Fourier kind, and hilbert spaces, on R2
The theorem sets bounds for norms of the functions and the transforms in the hilbert scale

I have the proofs for the 2D case given in my lecture notes

Problem: Generalize the above 2D theorem to prove a 3D result.

what does generalize the theorem mean?

Homework Equations

||f||_H(R2) <= ||RF||_H(Z) - here Z = cylinder

The Attempt at a Solution

So i have to use the generalisation to show

||f||_H(R3) <= ||Rf||_H(Z) - here Z = sphere

Does generalize mean i basically take the proof on the theorem above, and plug in the 3D case in the proof to derive the equations?

Basically this is what i would have done, just wanted to check that that's what generalize a theorem mean

Physics news on Phys.org
generalise often means to extend or make the theorem applicable to less restrictve conditions, in this case showing the R^2 result can be extended to R3

lanedance said:
generalise often means to extend or make the theorem applicable to less restrictve conditions, in this case showing the R^2 result can be extended to R3

Cool, i went all the way to R^n with the orig theorem, worked through the proof plugged in n=2 to show the 2D result .. and n = 3 for the 3D ...

1. What is the process for generalizing a theorem to 3D?

The process for generalizing a theorem to 3D involves first understanding the original theorem in its 2D form. Then, one must consider the properties and dimensions of objects in 3D space and how they relate to each other. It is important to carefully analyze the assumptions and conditions of the original theorem and determine if they still hold true in 3D. Finally, one must apply mathematical reasoning and logic to extend the theorem to 3D space.

2. How do I apply a 2D theorem to a 3D problem?

To apply a 2D theorem to a 3D problem, you must first identify the key components of the theorem and how they relate to each other in 2D. Then, consider how these components change in 3D and determine if the same relationships still hold. If not, you may need to modify the theorem or make additional assumptions. It is also important to carefully consider the geometric properties of objects in 3D space and how they may affect the theorem.

3. Can any theorem be generalized to 3D?

Not all theorems can be generalized to 3D. Some theorems are specific to 2D space and cannot be extended to 3D. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and conditions of the original theorem and determine if they are applicable in 3D. Additionally, some theorems may require additional assumptions or modifications in order to be extended to 3D.

4. Are there any limitations to generalizing a theorem to 3D?

There may be limitations to generalizing a theorem to 3D depending on the complexity of the original theorem and the properties of objects in 3D space. Some theorems may require additional assumptions or modifications in order to be extended to 3D. It is also important to consider the practicality and applicability of the generalized theorem in real-world situations.

5. How can I check if my 3D generalization of a theorem is correct?

To check if your 3D generalization of a theorem is correct, you can use mathematical reasoning and logic to verify if the relationships and properties hold true in 3D space. You can also test your generalized theorem with different scenarios and compare the results to the original 2D theorem. It is also helpful to seek feedback from other mathematicians or scientists in the field to ensure the accuracy of your generalization.