1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I verify the Divergence Theorem for F=(2xz,y,−z^2)

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify the Divergence Theorem for F=(2xz,y,−z^2) and D is the wedge cut from the first octant by the plane z =y and the elliptical cylinder x^2+4y^2=16

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\int \int F\cdot n dS=\int \int \int divF dv[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For the RHS
    r(u,v)=(4cosu,2sinu,v) where u=[0,2pi] and v=[0,1]
    [tex]\overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v =(2cosu,4sinu,0) [/tex]

[tex]\left \| \overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v \right \|=\sqrt{4cos^{2}u+16sin^{2}v} [/tex]
    [tex]\int \int f(r(u,v))\cdot \left \| \overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v \right \| dudv [/tex]
    For the Div F . dv
    Div F=1
    What is the limit for the triple integral?
    How can I do the triple integration to verify the divergence theorem?

thanks

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That last integral should be$$
    \pm\int \int \vec F(r(u,v))\cdot \vec r_u \times \vec r_v~ dudv $$where the sign is chosen appropriate for the outer normal.
    ##u## doesn't go from ##0## to ##2\pi## for the first octant, and ##v## doesn't go from ##0## to ##1##. Also, I assume you are aware that the surface integral(s) must include all four surfaces.

Have you drawn a picture of the wedge? Since the divergence is ##1## you are just doing a volume integral. You might pick some order of dz, dy, dx and set up a triple integral. Start with a picture.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    thanks for the reply
    Should u and v be [0,pi/2],[0,4] respectively ?
    thus, the integration is
    [tex]\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (4cosu,2sinu,v)\cdot (2cosu,4sinu,0) dudv[/tex]
    [tex]=\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (8cos^{2}u+8sin^{2}u)dudv[/tex]

For the second part,
    If I use the shperical coordinate to do the integration,
    θ should be [0,pi/2] , ϕ,should be [0,pi/4] ?
    How can I find the limit of p ?
    z=y : psinϕ=psinθcosϕ

5. Mar 16, 2017 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes for ##u##, no for ##v##. ##v## is just a rename of ##z## and it never gets as large as ##4##. And its range depends on what ##u## is, which determines ##x## and ##y##. You need a picture.

No, per above. Also what I have highlighted in red doesn't look like ##\vec F(\vec r(u,v))##.

Why in the world would you think of spherical coordinates? There is nothing "spherical" about this problem. You have apparently ignored my post where I suggested to draw a picture and set it up in rectangular coordinates. And what about the other three surfaces for part ##1##?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted