Is the First Isomorphism Theorem Applicable to this Complex Number Group?

In summary, In summary, we have shown that for any integer ##m\geq 1##, the quotient group ##(\mathbb{C}^\times,\cdot)/\mu_m## is isomorphic to the group ##(\mathbb{C}^\times,\cdot)##. This is because the map ##f: \mathbb{C}^\times \to \mathbb{C}^\times## defined by ##f(z)=z^m## has a non-trivial kernel, but is still surjective due to the uncountable infinite size of ##\mathbb{C}^\times##. This means that the first isomorphism theorem cannot be used, but the quotient group is still is
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##(\mathbb{C}^\times,\cdot)/\mu_m\cong (\mathbb{C}^\times,\cdot)## for any integer ##m\geq 1##, where ##\mu_m=\{z\in \mathbb{C} \mid z^m=1\}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my idea. Consider the map ##f: \mathbb{C}^{\times} \to \mathbb{C}^{\times}## where ##f(z) = z^m##. Then certainly ##\ker(f) = \mu_m##. But since this kernel is nontrivial, that means that the map can't be surjective (since if f were surjective we would have to have a trivial kernel). This would mean that we couldn't establish the result using the first isomorphism theorem. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

##(\mathbb{C}^\times,\cdot)/\mu_m\cong (\mathbb{C}^\times,\cdot)## for any integer ##m\geq 1##, where ##\mu_m=\{z\in \mathbb{C} \mid z^m=1\}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my idea. Consider the map ##f: \mathbb{C}^{\times} \to \mathbb{C}^{\times}## where ##f(z) = z^m##. Then certainly ##\ker(f) = \mu_m##. But since this kernel is nontrivial, that means that the map can't be surjective ...
Here.
... (since if f were surjective we would have to have a trivial kernel). This would mean that we couldn't establish the result using the first isomorphism theorem. Where am I going wrong?
Let us test surjectivity. Given any number ##z=r\cdot e^{i\varphi}## we construct a number by setting ##s=\sqrt[m]{r}## in ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\psi =\varphi / m##. Now what is ##f(z')=f(s\cdot e^{i \psi})\,?##

The isomorphism theorem still holds. The difference to what you are used to is the fact that we have a really big group: uncountable infinite. Now you divide by a finite group with ##m## elements. It simply doesn't make a difference to those uncountable infinitely many elements (cp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covering_group).

fresh_42 said:
Here.
Let us test surjectivity. Given any number ##z=r\cdot e^{i\varphi}## we construct a number by setting ##s=\sqrt[m]{r}## in ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\psi =\varphi / m##. Now what is ##f(z')=f(s\cdot e^{i \psi})\,?##

The isomorphism theorem still holds. The difference to what you are used to is the fact that we have a really big group: uncountable infinite. Now you divide by a finite group with ##m## elements. It simply doesn't make a difference to those uncountable infinitely many elements (cp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covering_group).
So you're saying that if we have a map ##f: \mathbb{C}^{\times} \to \mathbb{C}^{\times}## that is surjective, this doesn't necessarily imply that it is injective (and injectivity doesn't imply surjectivity)? So this is different than what the situation would be with finite groups?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So you're saying that if we have a map ##f: \mathbb{C}^{\times} \to \mathbb{C}^{\times}## that is surjective, this doesn't necessarily imply that it is injective (and injectivity doesn't imply surjectivity)? So this is different than what the situation would be with finite groups?
Yes. We have a surjective map, a non-trivial kernel, and as to the isomorphism theorem a group which is isomorphic to a homomorph image of itself. With finite groups bijective, injective (with an equal number of elements) and surjective (with an equal number of elements) are the same. We just have to few elements for tricks. But here we have ##m\cdot |\mathbb{C}^\times|=|\mathbb{C}^\times|##.

When it comes to complex numbers, a professor of mine used to call for the image of a radish cut into a spiral. (I don't know whether there is a radish among the vegetables on these pictures, but the principle is the same: https://spinner66.com/products/94207) She meant it as a description of the complex logarithm, but anyway, it's close.

1. What is the 1st isomorphism theorem?

The 1st isomorphism theorem, also known as the fundamental homomorphism theorem, is a fundamental result in group theory that states that if there is a homomorphism between two groups, then the quotient group of the kernel of the homomorphism is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism. In simpler terms, it shows the relationship between the structure of the original group and the structure of its homomorphic image.

2. How is the 1st isomorphism theorem used in mathematics?

The 1st isomorphism theorem is used in mathematics to prove the isomorphism between groups. It allows mathematicians to study the structure of a group by looking at its homomorphic image, which can often be easier to understand and work with. This theorem is also used in other branches of mathematics, such as ring theory and category theory.

3. What are the conditions for the 1st isomorphism theorem to hold?

The 1st isomorphism theorem holds under the condition that there is a homomorphism between two groups. Additionally, the kernel of the homomorphism must be a normal subgroup of the original group. This means that the elements of the kernel commute with all elements of the group, and the quotient group formed by the kernel must be isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

4. How does the 1st isomorphism theorem relate to other isomorphism theorems?

The 1st isomorphism theorem is the most basic and fundamental isomorphism theorem. It is often used as a stepping stone to prove other isomorphism theorems, such as the 2nd and 3rd isomorphism theorems. These theorems build upon the concepts and ideas established in the 1st isomorphism theorem and are used to prove isomorphisms in more complex structures, such as rings and modules.

5. Can the 1st isomorphism theorem be applied to non-abelian groups?

Yes, the 1st isomorphism theorem can be applied to non-abelian groups. The theorem does not depend on the groups being abelian, as long as the conditions for the theorem to hold are met. However, the resulting quotient group may not be isomorphic to the original group in non-abelian cases, making it a useful tool for studying and understanding the structure of non-abelian groups.