How to generalize Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics

In summary, Newtonian mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion while Lagrangian mechanics is based on the principle of least action. Generalizing these two branches of mechanics allows for a wider range of applications and a more unified understanding of motion. Lagrangian mechanics can be seen as a more general and abstract version of Newtonian mechanics and has advantages such as the ability to solve more complex systems and a more elegant approach. It can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to study the motion of objects.
jostpuur
If I stated a problem that you have to find the solution

[tex]
[0,\infty[\;\to\mathbb{R},\quad t\mapsto x(t)
[/tex]

to the problem

[tex]
x(0) = x_0 < R
[/tex]
[tex]
\dot{x}(0) = v_0 > 0
[/tex]
[tex]
m\ddot{x}(t) = -\partial_x U\big(x(t)\big),\quad\quad m>0
[/tex]

where [itex]R, v_0, m[/itex] are some constants, and the function [itex]U[/itex] has been defined as

[tex]
U(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
0, & x\leq R \\
\Omega, & x > R \\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

most people recognizing this as related to physics would probably state the solution as follows:

If [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 <\Omega[/itex], then

[tex]
x(t) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
x_0 + v_0 t,\quad &t\leq \frac{R-x_0}{v_0} \\
R - v_0\big(t - \frac{R-x_0}{v_0}\big),\quad &t > \frac{R-x_0}{v_0} \\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

and if [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 > \Omega[/itex], then

[tex]
x(t) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
x_0 + v_0t,\quad & t\leq\frac{R-x_0}{v_0} \\
R + \sqrt{v_0^2 - \frac{2\Omega}{m}}\big(t - \frac{R-x_0}{v_0}\big),\quad & t>\frac{R-x_0}{v_0} \\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

and if [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 = \Omega[/itex], then I guess we don't know which one of these to choose. Perhaps they are both ok.

However, if we are speaking about differential equations like in mathematics, this would not be the correct answer. The correct answer is that the solution exists in the form

[tex]
x:\big[0,\frac{R-x_0}{v_0}\big[\;\to\mathbb{R}
[/tex]

and the domain cannot be extended from this, because the path hits a point where the function [itex]U[/itex] is not differentiable.

My question is that is it possible formulate a well defined mathematical problem, into which the solution would be the previous solution which we recognize as the physical one?

I'm asking this in the Topology and Analysis section of PF because I have a feeling that this could be related to distributions and related things. For example, in a sense the derivative of [itex]U[/itex] is infinite at the point [itex]x=R[/itex], and if the path [itex]x(t)[/itex] bounces back from it, in a sense the acceleration [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] is momentarily infinite too, so it seems that the equation [itex]m\ddot{x}=-\partial_x U[/itex] could be making sense in some sense.

Of course I know how to make the equation

[tex]
\partial_x \theta(x-x_0) = \delta(x-x_0)
[/tex]

rigorous by using test functions to reformulate the equation, but I still don't know the answer to above described problem. How precisely would you reformulate the differential equation for the time evolution using some test functions?

If we approached this from the action point of view, what kind of function spaces would we need for the action? Would the test function spaces be related to the allowed variations?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the discontinuity is part of your physical model, then it has to have some physical meaning. Otherwise your model has a flaw or isn't valid at this point. You cannot perform mathematical tricks and hope physics will follow them. You should start to physically investigate the neighborhood of ##U(R)##.

As an internet forum user, I am not qualified to give a precise mathematical answer to this question. However, here is my understanding:

It seems like the problem can be reformulated as a boundary value problem, where the boundary condition is given by the initial conditions x(0) and x'(0). The equation m\ddot{x}(t) = -\partial_x U\big(x(t)\big) can then be solved using standard methods for differential equations.

However, as you mentioned, the function U is not differentiable at x=R, which could cause some issues. One possible way to deal with this is to extend the domain of the function U to include x=R, but then the solution would not be unique. Another approach could be to use distributions, as you suggested, to make the equation m\ddot{x}(t) = -\partial_x U\big(x(t)\big) well-defined at x=R.

As for the function spaces and test functions, I am not sure how they would be related to the allowed variations. It would depend on the specific problem and its boundary conditions. Overall, it seems like this problem could be approached using techniques from both topology and analysis, but a more precise answer would require knowledge and expertise in those fields.

1. What is the difference between Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics?

Newtonian mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of objects in a system based on their masses and forces acting on them. Lagrangian mechanics, on the other hand, is based on the principle of least action and describes the motion of a system in terms of generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities.

2. Why is it important to generalize Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics?

Generalizing these two branches of mechanics allows us to apply their principles to a wider range of physical systems and problems. It also provides a more unified and elegant framework for understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How are Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics related?

Lagrangian mechanics can be seen as a more general and abstract version of Newtonian mechanics. In fact, Newton's laws of motion can be derived from the principles of Lagrangian mechanics in certain cases.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics over Newtonian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics allows us to solve problems with more complex and diverse systems, as it is not limited to the constraints of a specific coordinate system. It also provides a more elegant and systematic approach to solving problems in mechanics.

5. How can one apply the principles of generalized mechanics in real-world situations?

Generalized mechanics can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to study the motion of celestial bodies, analyze the behavior of mechanical systems in engineering, or model the movement of particles in quantum mechanics.