1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get better at optimization calculus 1 problems

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    Im having trouble starting the harder optimization problems in stewarts calculus (calculus 1). I noticed one of my major problems is not knowing how the picture of the optimized problem looks like.

My test is only going to contain one optimization problem. So I am not worried about failing. My problem is I want to understand. Will returning to geometry after the semester ends help me get better at these types of problem? I have kisselev planametry and sterometry on hand but I think it is too late to start looking at them now during the semester.

I had a similar problem with related rates. I understand everything else tho.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you give an example of an optimization problem that you're having troubles with and can you try to explain what is bothering you?

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

how do i get to carnegie hall? practice, practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook