How to get better at optimization calculus 1 problems

In summary, the individual is struggling with starting difficult optimization problems in calculus, particularly in visualizing the problem. They are not worried about failing their upcoming test, but rather want to understand the concept better. They are considering using geometry resources to improve their skills, but feel it may be too late in the semester. They have also faced similar difficulties with related rates, but understand other concepts well. They request an example of an optimization problem and advice on how to improve.
TitoSmooth
Im having trouble starting the harder optimization problems in stewarts calculus (calculus 1). I noticed one of my major problems is not knowing how the picture of the optimized problem looks like.

My test is only going to contain one optimization problem. So I am not worried about failing. My problem is I want to understand. Will returning to geometry after the semester ends help me get better at these types of problem? I have kisselev planametry and sterometry on hand but I think it is too late to start looking at them now during the semester.

I had a similar problem with related rates. I understand everything else tho.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example of an optimization problem that you're having troubles with and can you try to explain what is bothering you?

how do i get to carnegie hall? practice, practice.

1) How can I improve my understanding of optimization calculus?

To improve your understanding of optimization calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the different types of optimization techniques. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also aid in your understanding.

2) What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving optimization calculus problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving optimization calculus problems include not fully understanding the problem, not setting up the correct equations, and not considering all possible solutions. It is also important to double check your work and ensure that your answers make sense in the context of the problem.

3) How can I approach more difficult optimization calculus problems?

When faced with more difficult optimization calculus problems, it can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, make sure to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It can also be beneficial to review any relevant concepts or techniques before starting the problem.

4) What resources are available to help me with optimization calculus?

There are many resources available to help with optimization calculus, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services or study groups for students struggling with calculus. Don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or classmates for assistance as well.

5) How can I check my work to make sure I have solved an optimization calculus problem correctly?

To check your work when solving an optimization calculus problem, you can plug your solution back into the original equation to see if it satisfies all of the given constraints. Additionally, you can use graphing software to visualize the problem and ensure that your solution is the maximum or minimum point. It's also helpful to review the problem and your solution to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.