How to get free mathematics and engineering textbooks?

In summary, the person is seeking free mathematics and engineering textbooks in PDF form, preferably from college and university sources. They are compiling a library for self study and are looking for legal sources such as MIT Open Courseware and websites with expired copyright books. They also ask for recommendations on where to purchase inexpensive textbooks, specifically in Google Play or iBooks.
icecubebeast
How to get free mathematics and engineering textbooks? I need them in pdf file form. The textbooks I want are college and university textbooks.

Any website/link that gives free textbooks are welcome. I need them for self study and I'm compiling a library of textbooks.

Physics news on Phys.org
icecubebeast said:
How to get free mathematics and engineering textbooks? I need them in pdf file form. The textbooks I want are college and university textbooks.

Any website/link that gives free textbooks are welcome. I need them for self study and I'm compiling a library of textbooks.

If you are asking about PDFs of copyrighted textbooks, distributing free copies of them would be a violation of copyright law (illegal). Is that what you are asking for? Links to illegal download sites?

Doug Huffman said:
Research the Open Access movement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access

That looks to apply more to journal articles, rather than to entire textbooks. From the link:

wikipedia said:
To find out if a publisher or journal has given a green light to author self-archiving, the author can check the Publisher Copyright Policies and Self-Archiving list[88] on the SHERPA RoMEO web site. To find out by journal, the author can check the EPrints Romeo site,[89] which is derived from the SHERPA/RoMEO dataset. The EPrints site itself also provides a FAQ[90] on self-archiving. Extensive details and links can also be found in the Open Access Archivangelism blog[91] and the Eprints Open Access site.[92]

Here is an open access introduction to quantum mechanics textbook arXiv:1007.4184v1 [quant-ph] 23 Jul 2010 by Bram Gaasbeek

Indeed, searching on "textbook" at arXiv got a number of hits. And 50+ hits at SSRN.

When I was studying Ixodes hard bodied ticks Lyme Disease vectors, I first found my very favorite textbook first as PDF archives scattered across the web. After I was convinced of its value I found it as an inexpensive academic library excess. The good thing about p-books and truth is that it is forever.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Internet Archive. There are tons of books whose copyright has expired (or are free from their inception) that you can download in several formats.
Also, you might find whole textbooks on the personal pages of many professors. There's a wonderful book by Georgi on waves, for instance.
MIT Open Courseware is another place where to dig for hidden nuggets.

Likes icecubebeast
berkeman said:
If you are asking about PDFs of copyrighted textbooks, distributing free copies of them would be a violation of copyright law (illegal). Is that what you are asking for? Links to illegal download sites?

No I never meant illegal sites I mean sites like MIT courseware. I also want sites that have the copyright expired books that are LEGAL.

Does google play or iBooks store have more mathematics and engineering books that are cheapest?

1. How can I get free mathematics and engineering textbooks?

There are several ways to get free mathematics and engineering textbooks. One option is to check online resources such as OpenStax or Project Gutenberg, which offer a wide range of free textbooks. You can also contact your university's library to see if they have any digital copies available for borrowing. Another option is to join online communities or forums where students and professionals share textbooks or provide links to free resources.

2. Are there any specific websites or platforms that offer free textbooks for mathematics and engineering?

Yes, there are several websites and platforms that offer free textbooks for mathematics and engineering. Some popular ones include OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and Bookboon. These sites offer a variety of textbooks in different formats, including PDF and e-books. You can also check your university's library website, as they may have partnerships with these platforms to provide free access to their students.

3. Can I legally download free mathematics and engineering textbooks?

Yes, you can legally download free mathematics and engineering textbooks from websites that offer them for free. However, it is important to ensure that the website is trustworthy and the textbooks are not pirated copies. You can also check the copyright information of the textbook to make sure you are not violating any laws.

4. Are free textbooks of the same quality as paid textbooks?

It depends on the source of the free textbook. Some websites offer high-quality textbooks that are used by universities and colleges, while others may offer older editions or self-published books. It is important to read reviews and compare the contents of the free textbook with the paid version to determine the quality. However, many free textbooks are of good quality and can provide the same information as paid textbooks.

5. Can I find all the required textbooks for my mathematics and engineering courses for free?

It is unlikely that you will find all the required textbooks for your mathematics and engineering courses for free. However, you can find a significant number of textbooks that cover the core concepts and topics in these fields. You may need to supplement with other resources such as lecture notes or online tutorials for any missing material. It is also a good idea to check with your professors or classmates to see if they have any additional resources or recommendations.