1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get free mathematics and engineering textbooks?

1. Jan 4, 2015 #1
    How to get free mathematics and engineering textbooks? I need them in pdf file form. The textbooks I want are college and university textbooks.

Any website/link that gives free textbooks are welcome. I need them for self study and I'm compiling a library of textbooks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If you are asking about PDFs of copyrighted textbooks, distributing free copies of them would be a violation of copyright law (illegal). Is that what you are asking for? Links to illegal download sites?

4. Jan 4, 2015 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

5. Jan 4, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That looks to apply more to journal articles, rather than to entire textbooks. From the link:

6. Jan 4, 2015 #5

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Here is an open access introduction to quantum mechanics textbook arXiv:1007.4184v1 [quant-ph] 23 Jul 2010 by Bram Gaasbeek

Indeed, searching on "textbook" at arXiv got a number of hits. And 50+ hits at SSRN.

When I was studying Ixodes hard bodied ticks Lyme Disease vectors, I first found my very favorite textbook first as PDF archives scattered across the web. After I was convinced of its value I found it as an inexpensive academic library excess. The good thing about p-books and truth is that it is forever.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Jan 4, 2015 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Jan 4, 2015 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jan 4, 2015 #8
    Have a look at the Internet Archive. There are tons of books whose copyright has expired (or are free from their inception) that you can download in several formats.
    Also, you might find whole textbooks on the personal pages of many professors. There's a wonderful book by Georgi on waves, for instance.
    MIT Open Courseware is another place where to dig for hidden nuggets.

10. Jan 4, 2015 #9
    No I never meant illegal sites I mean sites like MIT courseware. I also want sites that have the copyright expired books that are LEGAL.

11. Jan 4, 2015 #10
    Does google play or iBooks store have more mathematics and engineering books that are cheapest?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted