How to get multiple rec. letters

• Thread starter SuitCoatBassis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, it seems as if one would generally need three letters in order to be accepted into a graduate program, though doing research with a professor can help.
SuitCoatBassis
Hello,

this has been concerning me for a while now. I've seen online many testimonials about how important recommendation letters are for acceptance into a graduate program.

I only have minimal research experience as of now, and I'm currently working at an internship I will likely be doing until I graduate.

Generally, it seems as if one would require 3 letters. If I do research with a professor and make a strong impression with him or her, that could get me a letter. My concern is where do the other letters come from? Where do admissions departments like to see letters from BESIDE research professors?

I'm just concerned because I go to a smaller-end school and my research opportunities are quite limited. No professors at my school are really involved in what I am interested in pursuing in grad school, so I feel like my rec. letters will need to be good enough to outweigh the irrelevance of the research I do.

My main question is how can I get more than one good rec. letter?

Any advice to someone in this situation? I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

-Stan

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have two other "seniors" in the group? Do you work together with someone else somewhere else?
Where do admissions departments like to see letters from BESIDE research professors?
I think every lifetime position should be fine - I have just one data point, but it worked for me.

Thanks for responding!

I did work last Fall with a professor and a classmate of mine, but started at my internship in the Spring and was left without time to continue that research (financial decision).

I'm hoping to work with a math professor at some point this year, and there's one physics professor in particular I wanted to discuss the subject with, but I have yet to start.

I just hope that having a smattering of research here and there will look good, and I also think doing multiple bouts of research could get me my letters. I'm just trying to figure out how it would be possible to get multiple letters while only doing research with one professor, you know?

And your experience is very encouraging to hear, thank you

I got letters from my academic adviser, my research adviser from my home institution, and one from each of the professors I worked for during summer REUs. Basically, I worked for more than one person over the years.

In college, I did research with two professors. I then got my third letter from a professor who taught a upper level / grad class I took.

Generally speaking I think most programs will expect at least one reference letter to have detailed experiences with the student - e.g. a mentor on a senior thesis project, a supervisor for a summer or part-time research position - but the others don't need to be so involved. It's good if they are, of course, but letters from professors who have led you through senior undergraduate classes are fine.

I don't think it's worth detouring from a productive and enjoyable research opportunity for the sole purpose of gaining another reference letter. (If on the other hand you want to try something new then go for it - undergrad is a perfect time to do this.)

There are other things that you can do to build relationships, if that's what you're asking. Volunteering to serve on committees, organizing colloquia, teaching labs, tutoring, holding an executive position with your undergraduate physics society, are all examples. None of those really trumps research experience, but they do help you get noticed.

I got a letter from the professor I took measure theory with. I had spent a lot of time in his office discussing the material with him and was confident I had made a good impression.

1. How many recommendation letters do I need?

The number of recommendation letters required varies depending on the program or institution you are applying to. Typically, 2-3 letters are sufficient. However, it is always best to check the specific requirements of each program.

2. Who should I ask for a recommendation letter?

You should ask individuals who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities and personal qualities. This can include professors, advisors, supervisors, or mentors.

3. How should I approach someone for a recommendation letter?

When asking for a recommendation letter, it is important to be polite and professional. It is best to make the request in person or via email, and provide information about the program you are applying to and the deadline for submission. Be sure to give the person enough time to write the letter, and offer to provide them with any necessary materials or information.

4. Can I see the recommendation letter before it is submitted?

It is not common practice for individuals to see their recommendation letters before they are submitted. This is because the letter should be an honest and unbiased representation of the recommender's opinion. However, you can provide the person with a copy of your resume or personal statement to help them write a more personalized letter.

5. Is it okay to ask for a recommendation letter from someone who doesn't know me well?

No, it is not recommended to ask for a recommendation letter from someone who does not know you well. A strong recommendation letter should provide specific examples and insights into your abilities and character, which can only be done by someone who knows you well. It is better to ask for a letter from someone who can truly speak to your strengths and potential.