Writing Your Own Rec Letter: Pros & Cons

• Thread starter mzlk76
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a student's application for an REU program that requires three recommendation letters. The student has one strong letter from a professor they have worked with for a year and another from a professor they get along with well. However, the student's third professor has asked them to write their own recommendation letter, which the professor will then sign. The student is unsure if this is a good or bad thing and is seeking thoughts on the matter.
mzlk76
Hi all,

I'm applying for an REU that requires 3 rec letters. I have 1 strong letter from a professor I worked with for a year, 1 from a prof I get along with really well, and I feel both of those are fairly strong.

I've been working with a different professor for about 5 months now. When i asked him for a rec letter he told me if I wrote one, he would sign it. Is this bad or good? I've never written anything like this before. I could get someone else to do it, but I don't feel like they know me well enough.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It happens from time to time.

So long as the professor is actually going to read it over and legitimately agrees with what you've stated about yourself there isn't anything unethical about it. Often, what will happen is that professors will ask students to do this and then edit out anything they disagree with.

mzlk76 said:
Hi all,

I'm applying for an REU that requires 3 rec letters. I have 1 strong letter from a professor I worked with for a year, 1 from a prof I get along with really well, and I feel both of those are fairly strong.

I've been working with a different professor for about 5 months now. When i asked him for a rec letter he told me if I wrote one, he would sign it. Is this bad or good? I've never written anything like this before. I could get someone else to do it, but I don't feel like they know me well enough.

Thoughts?
What would make good sense is, he asks you to write the letter, and then he write HIS OWN letter based on what you said in your version and what he best believes and understands about you.

1. What are the benefits of writing my own recommendation letter?

Writing your own recommendation letter allows you to highlight your strengths and accomplishments in your own words. It also gives you the opportunity to provide specific examples and anecdotes that may not be included in a letter written by someone else.

2. Is it appropriate to write my own recommendation letter?

It is generally not recommended to write your own recommendation letter, as it may come across as biased or insincere. It is best to have someone else, such as a former employer or professor, write the letter for you.

3. Can I edit the recommendation letter after someone else has written it?

Yes, it is common practice to ask the writer of the recommendation letter to review and approve the final draft before it is submitted. This allows you to make any necessary edits or additions to ensure the letter accurately reflects your skills and qualifications.

4. How should I approach asking someone to write a recommendation letter for me?

When asking someone to write a recommendation letter, it is important to choose someone who knows you well and can speak to your abilities and character. Be sure to ask them in person and provide them with any necessary information or materials, such as your resume or a list of accomplishments.

5. Are there any downsides to writing my own recommendation letter?

One downside to writing your own recommendation letter is that it may not carry as much weight as a letter written by someone else. Admissions committees or potential employers may view a self-written letter as less objective. It is important to consider this before deciding to write your own letter.