How to get points on physics forums?

There are points in my PF account, six points. How do I acquire more points? And what does it mean if I have an infraction and it is never going to expire? :uhh:

Answers and Replies

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Points are given for breaching the PF Rules. Quoting from them:
PF Rules said:
Disciplinary Action:
A member may be issued either a warning or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline noncompliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; warnings carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.

Appealing an infraction
If you feel an infraction is undeserved you may send a personal message to the Mentor in question (or if you feel it necessary a different Mentor) explaining why you do not feel the infraction was deserved. The issue will then be bought before the rest of the mentors who will discuss the matter before getting back to you. The Mentors decisions are final.
In other words points are bad hence being called infraction points. Infraction points have various lengths and expire after a certain length of time, some never expire.

When you were awarded the points an explanation would have come with them as a personal message explaining why you have received them. When you receive messages you will see a notification in the top right of your screen and there will be an alert when you click "My PF." If you have not read these check your inbox.

jtbell
Mentor
To see how you got the infraction points that you already have, go to your profile and click on the "Infractions" tab.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
At the risk of re-stating the obvious, please do read your Private Messages (PM's) for specific explanations of why those points are there.

Borek
Mentor
The fastest way of getting more points is to start a thread on one of the banned topics (they are listed for your convenience in the forum rules).