How to get position operator in momentum space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fourier transformation to obtain the position operator in momentum space. The speakers also mention the use of derivatives and how to write xψ(x) in momentum space using the inverse Fourier transform. They also discuss the use of wave functions or Dirac notation for this task.
azoroth134
Hi, I wish to get position operator in momentum space using Fourier transformation, if I simply start from here,

$$ <x>=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \Psi^* x \Psi $$

I could do the same with the momentum operator, because I had a derivative acting on |psi there, but in this case, How may I get the ih d/dp thing for the position operator, please give some hint

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since you only wanted a hint...

Express ##\Psi(x)## in terms of its Fourier transform ##\tilde\Psi(p)## .

I already did that, I just don't know what to do after that, I don't have any derivative to perform on x or p

For a function ##f(x)## and its Fourier transform ##F(k)## (assuming it has one), we have the relation ##f'(x) = FT[ikF(k)]## and the inverse transform ##ikF(k) = FT^{-1}[f'(x)]##. Using this how would you write ##x\psi(x)## in momentum space?

azoroth134 said:
I already did that [...]
Heh, then you should show your work. (Asking only vague questions makes it harder for others to help you constructively.)

...and do you have to do it with wave functions, or is Dirac notation allowed?

1. What is the position operator in momentum space?

The position operator in momentum space is a mathematical operator that represents the position of a particle in terms of its momentum. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between a particle's position and momentum.

2. How is the position operator in momentum space related to the position operator in position space?

The position operator in momentum space is related to the position operator in position space through a Fourier transform. This transform allows for the conversion of a function from one space to another, in this case from position space to momentum space.

3. How can I calculate the position operator in momentum space?

The position operator in momentum space can be calculated using the following formula:
X(p) = iħ * ∂/∂p
Where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ∂/∂p is the derivative with respect to momentum.

4. What are the units of the position operator in momentum space?

The units of the position operator in momentum space are meters per kilogram (m/kg). This is because the position operator is related to momentum, which has units of kilogram meters per second (kg*m/s).

5. How is the position operator in momentum space used in quantum mechanics?

The position operator in momentum space is used in quantum mechanics to describe the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. It is an important tool in calculating the probability of finding a particle at a certain position with a certain momentum, as described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.