How to get (secx)(tanx) from (1/cosx)(sinx/cosx)?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter helpm3pl3ase
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 7K views
helpm3pl3ase
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Quick question:

h(x) = sinx/cos^(2) x

= (1/cosx)(sinx/cosx)

Then you get (secx)(tanx)..

I do not get how they get secx x tanx?? Anyone?? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1/cos(x) is also called sec(x).

sin(x)/cos(x) is also called tan(x).

- Warren
 
so the answer would be

(secx)(tanx) + c

Correct??
 
All you've done so far is convert the function you gave me into a slightly simpler form.

sin(x) / cos^2(x) = sec(x) tan(x).

Since you didn't actually post the problem as it was given to you, I don't know if h(x) is a function of which you need to find the antiderivative, or whether you've already done that step. You probably need to actually perform the antiderivative now.

- Warren
 
sorry how would i go about doing this.. Iam so confused.
 
Find the function which has a derivative of sec(x) tan(x). You should have a list of such facts in your book.

- Warren
 
alright.. I get it now.. Sorry.. I don't know why this problem was causing me problems.. Thanks for clearing it up.
 
It would have helped if you had told us from the beginning that you were trying to find an anti-derivative! All you said was that you couldn't see how they had gone from Quick question:

h(x) = sinx/cos^(2) x

to h(x)= (secx)(tanx).