How to get teh closest Metal object

• Thread starter akkon83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the junior engineer is trying to find a metal object from among a group of objects. He doesn't know which sensors to use and is seeking advice.
akkon83
Hello,
I'm a junior engineer, and I'm facing a physics/maths problem, for my new project.
I don't know all the technologies at the moment, and don't know all the tools available. I would like to calculate/get the closest Metal object from an other object (called x).
x could store a sensor or a microcontroller to proceed in the calculation, but what do i need, to get the distance(dont need the distance in cm or m but more the closest object).What will be the easiest method to use? Ulstrasound? the laser meter is not an option as I'm in a 3D environment.
Hope I was clear in my explanation you help will be greatfull.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you don't get any answers here, try the Engineering forums.

Moved.

Zz.

Are you trying to discern a metal object from a group of objects? That would make a difference in terms of the sensors you want to use.

No one as any ideas ?

yes I'm trying to dicern the closest metal object (I forgot to mention) all the objects will be metal.

One thing, are all the metal parts the same, that is to say, all ferromagnetic like iron or most steels, or will some be non-magnetic like aluminum? Will the sensor sweep by the metal or would the sensor be stationary and the metal sweep by the sensor? That complicates the wiring issues if the sensor has to move, for instance.

all the object around can move , they will al be made out of stell , and won't be bigger then 10cm of diameter, and smaller then 6 cm of diameter.
If you won't a concret exemple if we throws then (for exemple 5 object toward the sensor) when they stop the sensor should be able to find to closet one.
Hope I was clear enough :) and thanks for your help

Last edited:
You will probably want to mix visual processing with a magnetic sensor (although you haven't specified whether or not they are ferromagnetic)

thanks for your feedback but a magnetic sensor will make the object move??

I'm not an expert but steel object are ferromognetic??

Last edited:
Steel is ferromagnetic, most steels anyway. Some stainless steels are non magnetic but to see if the steel in you app is magnetic, just take a magnet and see if it attracts your steel.
Is this app for a moving robot, like a college robotics contest? Sensors don't HAVE to be magnetic.

No its not for a Robot, but more for a game when I will have finish every single part ;). One thing is that the object musn't be moved that is to be taken into account

In that case, you should not use a simple magnet with a reed switch which depends on a magnetic field to detect the metal and close a tiny switch. You need a more elaborate detector, either an optical detector which puts out an IR beam with a small LED and a light detector, where the beam goes out at an angle, like too headlights not pointing out straight but like crosseyed where the two beams would cross at a short distance away from the body of the detector, but the other 'beam' is just the IR light receiver, the detector. When the light beam goes out it runs into a piece of metal and it has to be at a small distance to reflect some of the IR light back into the detector, at other distances, it does not detect.

Or you can use the same idea but it sends out ultrasonic audio beam and an audio pickup, same idea.

The magnetic way would be a sensor that uses a low power RF field, maybe 200 Khz or so, and if it gets close to a piece of metal, there is a receiver coil that gets a change in impedance and that is sensed, that is like a miniature metal detector people use to scan for rings and such on a beach.

I think the IR beam seems the most suitable solution, but could you explain in more details have to admit got lost a bit ;)

If you put an Infra red emitter (IR LED or laser) next to an IR detector, and they are in parallel, the IR beam would go straight out and the return could be a long ways away. If they are aimed inwards, like a triangle, where if they were both emitters, the beams would meet at some point, but instead one of the devices is an optical detector, then the most likely detection would be where the lines of the triangle would meet. You take the output of the IR detector and put it to the input of a schmitt Trigger. Here is a Wiki about this circuit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger

The output of the schmitt trigger can be used to activate a relay or an LED or whatever. You use the signal however you wish. Could be an audio beep, whatever.

Hi Litup! :-)
are you still looking for ideas?
I suggest ultrasonic 'radar'. You could pulse a burst of 40kHz sound, time the received signals, and locate the nearest item using Arduino.
I hear that the Arduino platform is very good for this kind of work, and is very cheap. There will be a fair bit of work in programming though.

thks that could be a really good idea I ll dig into it :)

1. How can I locate the nearest metal object?

To locate the nearest metal object, you can use a metal detector. These devices emit electromagnetic fields that interact with metal objects, causing the detector to emit a signal or visual alert. You can purchase or rent a metal detector from a hardware store or online retailer. Additionally, you can try using a compass, as it will be drawn towards metal objects due to their magnetic properties.

2. Is it possible to find metal objects without using a metal detector?

Yes, it is possible to find metal objects without using a metal detector. You can search for areas where metal objects are commonly found, such as construction sites, beaches, or old buildings. Additionally, you can use your eyes to look for any visible metal objects, such as coins or jewelry. However, using a metal detector will greatly increase your chances of finding metal objects in a specific area.

3. How do I know if the metal object I found is valuable?

The value of a metal object depends on various factors, such as its age, rarity, and condition. If you have found an object that you believe may be valuable, you can take it to a professional appraiser or a local museum for further evaluation. They will be able to provide you with more information about the object's history and value.

4. Can I use a metal detector to find buried metal objects?

Yes, metal detectors can be used to find buried metal objects. However, the depth at which the detector can detect the object will depend on the type and quality of the detector, as well as the composition and size of the buried object. It is important to note that you may need to obtain permission before searching for buried objects in certain areas, such as private property or archaeological sites.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when searching for metal objects?

Yes, there are some safety precautions you should take when searching for metal objects. Be aware of your surroundings and avoid areas with potential hazards, such as construction sites or areas with high traffic. Additionally, be cautious when digging or using tools to retrieve an object, as it may be sharp or potentially harmful. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste or debris you may create during your search.